Talented people join Arup for the opportunity it provides to work on some of the world’s most exciting projects. We are designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists driven to shape a better world. As a wholly independent organisation owned in trust for the benefit of its employees, the firm determines its own direction. The result is clear-sighted, thoughtful decisions about our priorities as a business and as a member of a sustainable society.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Environmental Consultant to join and help shape the future of environmental assessment and management. We are part of a 30+ multidisciplinary Environmental & Sustainability Team and the role offers a fantastic opportunity to contribute to the growth of our team delivering environmental assessment and management of major infrastructure projects throughout the UK. You will lead multidisciplinary teams of environmental specialists to support consent applications and discharge of conditions, detailed design and construction management as the UK increases investment in infrastructure development, particularly Highways. You will also have the opportunity to innovate and grow our services across infrastructure sectors, develop internal and external client relationships, and support collaboration with Arup’s internationally renowned engineering design teams.
- Reports to the Environmental Management Skill Leader and ultimately the Associate Director responsible for the Environment & Sustainability Team;
- Responsible for the management of multidisciplinary teams for the Environmental Impact Assessment and management of infrastructure projects, particularly Highways;
- Will lead input to, compilation, critical review and quality assurance of Environmental Statements, non-statutory assessments, appraisals and management plans at all stages of project delivery;
- Prepare non-technical specialist sections of assessments;
- Lead individual projects and the environmental aspects of wider engineering and development projects, responsible for technical and commercial success;
- Support team in business development activities, including identifying and pursuing opportunities;
- Prepare and lead on input into bids, proposals, and tenders for environmental services direct to major UK clients.
The successful candidate will have a:
- A Degree or post graduate degree in an environment related science;
- Typically around 10 years professional experience, including typically more than 8 years professional experience in working with environmental assessment and management of infrastructure projects, including linear infrastructure;
- Demonstrable experience in leading environmental assessment of major Highways England projects and compliance with their governance processes;
- Experience of working in other sectors including rail a distinct advantage;
- In depth practical knowledge and experience of environmental requirements for consenting of infrastructure projects in the UK;
- Good knowledge of the UK and European Union environmental regulatory framework;
- Experience of leading multi-disciplinary environmental teams;
- Experience of working closely with engineering and planning teams;
- Experience and appreciation of working in a Collaborative working environment across business teams and in Joint Ventures and distinct advantage;
- Proven ability to plan and manage multiple work streams within small to major large scale projects;
- Ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of audiences ranging from individual discipline technical specialists, senior projects leads and key Client;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong commercial awareness with demonstrable experience of liaising with and managing clients and developing business;
- Comfortable and confident in a client-facing role;
- Ability to work calmly under pressure to meet deadlines and to work on multiple projects;
- Demonstrate a desire for continual improvement of both self and the team.