Talented people join Arup for the opportunity it provides to work on some of the world’s most exciting projects. We are designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists driven to make a positive difference in the world. As a wholly independent organisation owned in trust for the benefit of its employees, the firm determines its own direction. The result is clear-sighted, thoughtful decisions about our priorities as a business and as a member of a sustainable society.
We require an experienced Senior Ecologist to become a key part of the existing 11-strong ecology team in the Arup Solihull office. The ecology team forms part of the successful multidisciplinary Environmental & Sustainability Team that currently comprises around 40 enthusiastic professional staff working on a wide variety of exacting, high-profile and challenging projects.
We deliver ecological assessment, mitigation and enhancement across a broad range of sectors, including some of the biggest infrastructure schemes and most complex projects in the country.
You will manage existing major confirmed projects, develop new business and give clear, consistent and considered advice to achieve project goals and benefit biodiversity.
- Reports directly to the Midlands Ecology Skills Leader and ultimately the Associate Director responsible for the Environment & Sustainability Team.
- Based in Arup Campus in Solihull, with regular travel to sites in the Midlands Region and beyond.
- Coordinating ecological support to our highways business, maintaining high standards and consistency of work and managing the resource requirements for this work stream.
- Responsible for managing ecological elements on a range of other major projects from survey planning through to mitigation implementation.
- Responsible for monitoring budgets, controlling expenditure and meeting agreed deadlines.
- Represents Arup at external meetings and represents the ecology team at internal meetings.
- Produces high quality ecological reports, checking and approving the work of more junior colleagues.
- Responsible for the performance and development of more junior ecologists, providing guidance training, motivational and directional feedback.
- Positive and proactive individual keen with a desire for continual improvement of both self and the team.
Essential Skills and Knowledge :
- Extensive technical experience in a range of ecological and protected species surveys. Holder of Natural England personal survey licences, with a bat licence being a distinct advantage.
- Proven success of working in a multi-disciplinary team environment and building a diverse network of contacts.
- Strong experience of providing ecological advice in the design and delivery of major infrastructure projects.
- Strong commercial awareness with demonstrable experience of liaising with and managing clients and developing business.
- Comfortable and confident in a client-facing role.
- Experienced at selecting and managing sub-consultants and reviewing their performance.
- Experience of designing and implementing successful ecological mitigation including under EPS licences for bats and GCN.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure to meet deadlines and to work on multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Management experience of individuals and teams with an interest and aptitude for developing more junior ecologists.
- Expertise with regards to use of bat recording technology, sound analysis and data interpretation
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Master’s Degree in Ecology or related subject.
- Full Membership of CIEEM. Chartered Status an advantage.
- Typically over of seven years’ professional ecology experience in a consultancy environment.
Reward and Benefits:
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to partake in CPD from both internal and external providers, to be targeted to their individual professional development needs and preferences.
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help you with your work/life balance.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
We are committed to equal opportunities.