Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
As part of the continued growth of our established multi-disciplinary environment team in Scotland and North East England, we are looking for an experienced environmental planner/EIA practitioner/specialist. Whilst you will be based in Glasgow, you will also have the opportunity to work in our Edinburgh office to support projects and collaborate with colleagues based there.
• Coordinating EIAs
• Preparing Environmental Statements and other environmental reports
• Advising clients on the UK development planning systems (including in England)
• Possibly providing topic specific technical knowledge into projects, such as air-quality
• Project managing multidisciplinary environmental teams
• Technical report writing and producing project related correspondence and reports
• Client facing on projects and seeking new work
• Project and team administration duties
• Co-ordinating work of engineers and other environmental technical specialists
Line management of junior staff
Requirements and skills
• Typically over five years of consultancy experience
• Degree qualified in environmental science or other related field
• Ideally a post-graduate qualification of MSc or higher
• Chartered with a relevant institution, or working towards achieving Chartered status
• Current track record of working on environmental projects (onshore and/or offshore), in a consulting environment
• Able to work in general environmental and EIA coordination, and ideally also as an environment specialist in a topic such as air quality
• Developing business development skills
• Excellent project management experience, including QA procedures and financial systems
• Proven success in contributing to a team-oriented environment
• Able to develop successful client relationships
• Able to work independently with minimum supervision
• Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines (this is essential)
• Excellent planning, organisational, time management skills and communications skills
• Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges
• Ability to flex skills and approach across a wide range of project types
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.