As a Senior Environment Manager at HS2, you will manage and lead the environmental assessment work, including associated assessments, developed for the Hybrid Bill for the proposed high speed railway corridor from the West Midlands to Crewe (Phase 2a).
About the role:
- Lead on the environmental assessment requirements and deliverables for Phase 2a
- Provide leadership and advice on environmental design solutions and ensure that environmental sustainability issues continue to be embedded as an integral part of the project design
- Work collaboratively with other technical specialists to achieve world class integrated designs and develop appropriate and cost balanced strategies and solutions
- Manage consultants appointed to undertake environmental assessment (including transport, health and equalities impact assessment) and design
- Manage the environmental budget for the section of project to ensure consultant costs are properly forecast, managed and controlled in line with the overall budget and organisational requirements
- Manage support to the hybrid bill team, including the relevant expert witnesses on environmental issues and prepare petition responses and reports
- Lead the response to general internal and external enquiries on environmental matters for Phase 2a
- Support the Head of Scheme Design and Products on internal and external reporting of environmental matters
- Working closely with the Head of Environment, manage environmental input HS2 Ltd Area reports and briefings to Ministers to enable robust decision making.
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a relevant environmental/built environmental discipline; a chartered membership of a relevant environmental (e.g. IEMA)/built environmental organisation is desirable
- Significant demonstrable experience of leading on environmental assessment and design on large or complex infrastructure/ engineering projects
- Track record managing complex projects and financial management of projects, including procurement processes
- Proven knowledge of EU and UK environment legislation and current best practice guidance
- Proven ability to manage individuals, consultants and to work across multidisciplinary teams
- Strong communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental issues to a range of stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience of preparing/ reviewing material for and attending public consultations
- Experience of working under extremely tight deadlines and in a constantly changing project environment
- It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal