You will be an integral part of our established north-west ecology team who are spread across our Manchester and Cumbria offices. Your broad technical knowledge will enable you to carry out a range of field surveys, including provision of specialist ecological supervision and licenced mitigation works (especially bats) alongside office-based work such as day-to-day project management, client care, fee proposals & attendance at meetings. You will be supported by the team leader and the other six staff in the team to deliver practical and innovative solutions to our clients.
The key elements of the role include the application of ecological principles to a range of projects, an in-depth knowledge of wildlife law, and the ability to identify pragmatic and client-focussed solutions to ecological constraints.
You will get to work regularly alongside our other UK disciplines, helping to develop both your awareness of, and value to, our wider capabilities, which include Planning, Contamination, Landscape, EIA, Transport planning, as well as a range of other Environmental and Engineering services
- A Class 2 bat licence is essential for this post, including experience supervising mitigation works under EPS licences.
- You should be a full member of CIEEM and have an accomplished background of ecological expertise, from solid Extended Phase 1 skills to species-specific survey techniques and experience of preparing mitigation schemes.
- You should have a good understanding of UK wildlife legislation and how the Town Planning system works, so you can provide the most pragmatic and appropriate advice to each bespoke project.
- Bat survey and assessment skills are essential and the ability to write EcIA Chapters and/or HRA assessments would also be beneficial.
- You will be confident in producing high quality reports, as well as robust risk assessments & method statements to set a good example for others to follow.
- You will be a good project manager, with demonstrable client skills and the ability to quantify both risks and opportunities in relation to development.
- You must be a confident communicator with strong written and verbal skills, and possess the ability to prioritise the delivery of a dynamic workload.
- A relevant degree as a minimum is required, as is a full driving licence, plus good ICT skills including MS Word and Excel.
WYG is an award-winning professional services firm operating from more than 50 locations across the UK, Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. We are driven by client service and underpinned by technical excellence. We help our clients create value, protect value, and manage risk. We are the partner of choice for organisations operating in complex or challenging environments.
We serve our clients through three interconnected business streams:
- WYG Advisory is a proactive management consultancy designed to help identify opportunities for our clients, support their decision-making processes and deliver effective programmes.
- WYG Consulting assembles specialist teams to offer high value services to the markets in which we operate.
- WYG International Development works to optimise the value and impact of donor funded projects in collaboration with our partners and other stakeholders. It aims to improve socio-economic stability, enhance infrastructure and unlock the potential for sustainable development.
WYG PLC’s shares are traded on AIM, a market operated by the London Stock Exchange.
In return for your dedication, you’ll enjoy a quality total remuneration package, including company car/car allowance, contributory pension, life insurance, health cover and flexible working options. Pick and choose your perfect blend from advantages including childcare, additional holiday and travel insurance. You’ll also benefit from a tailored package or professional training and development, with support to achieve your career goals.