The British Safety Council is one of the world’s leading occupational health and safety organisations. Our vision is that no-one should be injured or made ill at work. We have campaigned for 60 years to influence decision makers and have been successful in the creation of comprehensive health and safety laws.
We are currently looking to recruit a Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality Manager, who will act as the key point of contact on all necessary matters within British Safety Council Operations. This is a great opportunity for a SHEQ Manager to join the organisation and to gain valuable experience and knowledge with an industry expert. They have the advantage to work with experienced safety practitioners as well as obtain various health and safety qualifications that we provide in order to fast track their career.
The successful SHEQ Manager will co-ordinate, implement and continually improve the health and safety and business management systems. This role will directly report to the Policy & Technical Director.
The role will be responsible for staff engagement, internal communication and training on health and safety, quality and environmental matters, liaising with other departments as required, and will champion a proportionate approach to enable and support business activity. The role holder will also provide line management to the company’s estate function, with the Estates Officer reporting directly to this role.
Duties and key responsibilities
- Co-ordinate, implement and continually improve the Health, safety, quality and environmental management systems
- Support the Policy and Technical Director in the development and implementation of a scheduled plan for ensuring continual improvement
- monitoring against agreed KPIs
- internal audit and review
- investigation of accidents, incidents and complaints development and delivery of reports as required by the Executive Team and the Board (as directed by the Policy and Technical Director)
- Support and facilitate consultation with employees on SHEQ matters
- Co-ordinate and facilitate the Organisation’s external certification against:-
- OHSAS 18001 (transitioning to ISO 45001)
- ISO 9001 (2015)
- Co-ordinate and support delivery of SHEQ training to BSC staff
- Provide advice and support on SHEQ matters for BSC staff and managers
- Provide first-line management for the estates function
- Monitor estates budget and planned maintenance
- Undertake other duties as may be required in support of BSC Operations.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum Level 3 (certificate level) qualification in occupational health and safety
- Auditor qualification
- Experience of OHSAS 18001 and ISO 9001 management systems
- Awareness of ISO 45001
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good IT skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Minimum 1-year post qualification health and safety role experience
- Level 3 qualification in quality management
- Demonstrable auditing experience (internal auditing is acceptable)
- Membership of IOSH / IIRSM and/or IEMA
- Demonstrable training delivery experience and/or qualification
- 25 days’ holidays
- Health cash plan benefit from the first day of joining
- Private Medical and Dental cover
- Season ticket loan and many more benefits
- Health and Safety qualifications