WSP is seeking an Environmental Consultant, with specific Socio-economic experience, with extensive post graduate experience in environmental consultancy with EIA/SEA Planning knowledge and experience. Whilst the post will be based in one of our South East office - London Devonshire Square, Guildford or Basingstoke, the role will involve work across the rest of the UK and there maybe occasional opportunities to be involved in projects abroad. The post will be within our Environmental Assessment, Management and Town Planning (EAM&TP) team which is a service line in WSP’s Environmental Planning business, within Environmental overall.
The successful candidate will need to have demonstrable track experience of preparing and managing socio-economic impact assessments and EIAs/multi-disciplinary projects. Ideally the candidate will also have experience of Strategic Environmental Assessment / Sustainability Appraisal. The individual will need to be commercially aware and have been involved in preparing proposals/tenders. The role will involve managing and delivering into a broad range of environmental / consents work including bidding, design/optioneering, assessment, consenting and approvals during construction and delivery. Our work involves infrastructure and development projects in most sectors, in particular urban mixed use, residential, commercial development, highways, power generation and transmission and waste. Our client base includes major private and public sector developers and operators on some of the largest and most complex infrastructure and development projects in the UK.
The role requires a good understanding of statutory procedures applicable to the consenting of infrastructure / mixed use projects, including EIA. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential for this post which will also include exposure to both internal and external clients.
- Drafting, assembling and editing of Socio-economic Chapters both in Environmental Statements and as stand-alone reports
- Review and support to junior members of the team in preparing socio-economic assessments
- Providing Socio-economic advice / environmental support on tenders / projects across various Sectors
- Project management with effective budgetary control on projects
- Desk studies, research, data management and report writing
- Liaising with internal and external clients and statutory bodies, and public consultation, as necessary.
We'd love to hear you from you if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree level and postgraduate qualification
- Chartered (or imminent)
- Previous experience of delivering Socio-economic advice and Reports and managing EIAs/ Multi-disciplinary environmental reports
- Ideally experience of Sustainability Appraisal, Strategic Environmental Assessment
- Experience working on multiple projects or caseloads and coordinating project teams
- Sound knowledge and experience of the UK planning system and consents process
- Experience of liaising with planning authorities and statutory consultees
- Appreciation of a range of technical environment matters
- Professional and able to work on own initiative.Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with colleagues and clients
- Willingness to tackle new areas of work beyond core experience, and enthusiasm for completing a job
- Positive attitude and with good team working skills and initiative
- Good commercial awareness
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver against time and cost commitments
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
The following would be advantageous:
- Experience of highways sector work (particularly using the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges guidance) working with engineers and interpreting engineering proposals
- Experience of Equalities Impact Assessment
- Planning consultancy experience.