The purpose of this role is to drive the company's environmental performance through management of the environmental management system, the interpretation of existing and new environmental legislation, the development, promotion and adoption of leading environmental standards and performance, and through ensuring that our workforce is appropriately trained and engaged.
The right candidate will be able to:
* Formulate UK company-wide environmental policies, standards and high level procedures ensuring that they comply with legislative requirements and best practice, and contribute to the company vision of an incident free workplace.
* Support the UK businesses to ensure legal compliance and embed Environmental Management System that drive strategic improvements in environmental management
* Responsible for the development and maintenance of the Environmental Management System and associated ISO14001 Certification.
* Support the business to maintain ISO14001 by providing expert advice to management prior to and during audits, formulating action plans to rectify findings and proactive measures to drive continual improvement.
* Support the formulation of environmental strategy and sustainability goals for the company
* Keep under review environmental management information, including incidents, and advise the company on performance, impacts, business risk and appropriate response
* Develop short, medium and long term KPIs and targets that are fit for purpose to drive excellent environmental performance and embed these into businesses
* Develop and deliver programmes to promote and enhance employee and stakeholder environmental engagement and clarity of line of sight between individual actions and corporate ambition
* Identify and interpret emerging environment legislative and best practice requirements which may impact on the company
* Ensure that employees across the company are trained to an appropriate level of environmental competency in accordance with their roles and potential impact
* Influence and advise external stakeholders including enforcing authorities and trade bodies in the development of new legislation and/or environmental standards.
* Work with key leads across the business to promote and embed environmental improvement programmes
* Build and support broader networks of environmental professionals and practitioners across the business to facilitate knowledge and good practice transfers
Education & Experience:
* Knowledge of climate change, sustainability and SHE legislation
* Relevant industry experience and appreciation of wider business operations and SHE policies desirable
* Ability to lead teams in the wider business, which are not part of your direct reports, to drive improvements in our environmental and sustainability performance
* Demonstrate sound constructive decision making abilities
* Building constructive working relationships with regulatory bodies and peer organisations
* Effective people management skills with the ability to develop a high performing team, passionate about good customer service and improved productivity are desirable
* Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate articulately
* Ability to influence and drive results through matrix management
* Resilient with the confidence and courage to challenge behaviours and issues
* Ability to think of innovative new ways in which to engage the business in Sustainability, Health or Safety issues
* Suitable scientific/engineering based technical/professional qualification such as Degree, HNC or equivalent experience
* IEMA certificate or IEMA Diploma in environmental management or equivalent (or willing to work towards)
Fircroft has been placing people in specialist technical industries for approaching half a century, focusing on mid to senior level engineers for contract and permanent roles worldwide. By applying for this job you give consent for Fircroft to contact you, via email & telephone, to discuss your application along with future positions and Fircroft's services.
Fircroft is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner as required under the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679. Fircroft will only process your personal data for the specific purposes of managing your application.