Job Type: Full-Time
Commencement: As soon as possible
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, UK (with travel to client sites around the UK)
Closing Date: 11th May 2018
An opening has arisen for a full-time Environmental Consultant based at GEP Environmental’s Winchester office working within the Environment Team. In this position you will be supporting the Environment Manager to deliver environmental compliance services.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Supporting the development, implementation and maintenance of Environmental Management Systems (EMS) to the International Standard of ISO 14001:2015 and Energy Management Systems (EnMS) to the International Standard of ISO 50001:2011
- Undertaking internal and/or compliance audits on the behalf of clients (e.g. EMS, QMS, CRC, Waste, Energy)
- Managing legislative issues for clients and maintaining an awareness of how legislation impacts projects
- Developing and maintaining environmental legal registers
- Provision of technical and legal compliance support (notably in carbon, energy and waste management)
- Performing environmental performance and impact assessments
- Designing and delivering training materials and resources to support environmental projects
- Developing technical project tools, spreadsheets and reports for internal and client use
- Report writing: completion of risk based reports written in non-technical language
- Communicating with clients, regulators and sub-contractors
- Project management, business development and identifying new project opportunities
- Assisting with the development and distribution of marketing materials
- Adhering to the requirements of GEP’s Integrated Management System (ISO 14001 & ISO 9001)
The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding and practical experience of the implementation of environmental management systems as practiced in the wider framework of environmental management and will be self-confident, proactive, take initiative and be able to build working relationships with colleagues and clients. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced consultancy.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ previous work experience in related environmental field (preferably consultancy)
- Experience and strong technical capability gained within a professional consultancy
- Project experience/delivery across a range of industry sectors
- Good knowledge of UK/European sustainability and resource management strategies and environmental legislation and policy is desirable
- Good understanding and appreciation of how environmental management aligns with business strategy
- Previous experience of designing, implementing and maintaining environmental management systems
- Previous experience of undertaking internal and/or compliance audits
- Commercial awareness and ability to establish and maintain client relationships
- Confidence, self-motivation and excellent communication skills
- Strategic and analytical thinker
- Ability to interpret and understand environmental legislation, guidelines and policies
- Competent and efficient report writing skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Candidates must be computer literate and have the ability to confidently use IT packages (including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook)
- Qualified to BSc in Environmental Sciences / Environmental Management / Environmental Studies (or related environmental discipline), but preferably qualified to MSc or MEnvSci
- Internal Environmental Auditor or Lead Environmental Auditor Certification
- Associate or Practitioner Member of the Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA)
Who are GEP Environmental?
GEP Environmental is a leading provider of Environmental, Energy and Training services to the private and public sector across the UK. We are qualified and experienced environmental consultants, engineers and accredited trainers, with offices in Winchester, Edinburgh, Bedford and Cardiff.
We work with our clients to identify and implement practical and cost-efficient ways of improving environmental performance, managing legal requirements and ultimately reducing carbon emissions and other waste.
Please note you must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
If you are interested in applying for this position, then please send a CV and covering letter to: Peter Schofield (Environment Manager) at email@example.com
Closing date for applications is 5pm on 11th May 2018.