Environmental Assurance Engineer – Warwick - National Grid
Salary: Circa £47-56k dependant on experience + excellent benefits
Location: Warwick (CV34 6DA) – West Midlands – with some travel to other UK locations
We currently we have an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Assurance Engineer based in Warwick to join our expanding Asset Assurance team. This is a key role in our business providing specialist technical capabilities developing environmental compliance in line with current legislation and delivering environmental assurance for activities associated with UK transmission plant and equipment.
National Grid is at the heart of energy in the UK. Connecting millions of customers with gas and electricity, we make sure that lights are on, homes are heated and businesses powered. We are the sole owner and operator of the gas national transmission system in Great Britain and our key assets include pipelines, compressor stations and terminals. Good environmental compliance assurance strategy is essential to our success and we are growing our capability in this area to ensure that we deliver for our customers and maximise returns for our shareholders. That’s why we need the very best people to join our team. And that’s why we’re talking to you.
- Develop and implement the environmental compliance assurance strategy to meet key legislative requirements for the gas transmission business, to include environmental performance with respect to Asset Assurance & Operational Assurance
- Develop and strengthen the Environmental management framework across gas transmission and assess the effectiveness of the organisation to consistently adhere to it
- Proactively manage, develop and maintain positive relationships with the Environmental regulators to be the principle point of contact with the regulator on behalf of Gas Transmission
- Proactive identification of control gaps and weakness in compliance which have the potential to lead to external enforcement action
- Develop and deliver an incisive internal intervention plan on emerging risk situations to proactively assess legislative compliance Proactively influence business Leaders across the business to ensure they are managing and discharging obligations under the respective environmental legislation/environmental permit conditions
- Monitor both the internal and external environment to identify and quantify legislative impacts and industry best practice
- Provide a focal point for specialist advice across the business on environmental compliance
- Maintenance and development of systems i.e. ISO 14001
What we’re looking for:
- Experience of operational or technical environmental management and compliance in any process based industry; i.e. Petrochemical, Utilities.
- Demonstrate successful capability in:
- Technical issues management
- Environmental Permits Management
- Discharge Consent Management
- Incident control and management
- Change management
- Financial management
- Policy development
- Stakeholder Relationship management, including external Environmental Regulators
- Effective communication skills including the ability to make persuasive presentations to small audiences
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Ability to build relationships across all levels of the organisation
- Strong working appreciation of environmental management systems
- Degree level education preferred or the equivalent in an environmental or engineering discipline
- At least Associate member of Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) – preferably Practitioner
Who we are
National Grid plc is the operator of the GB gas transmission pipeline system, delivering around half the nation’s energy needs on a 24/7 basis. The national gas transmission system consists of 7,000km of high quality welded steel pipelines operating at pressures up to 85 bar. Gas compressor stations are strategically situated along the pipeline to pump the gas along the route. As a key resource within a small team, you will contribute positively to the highest standards of health, safety and environmental performance.
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.
To learn more about working at National Grid, apply for this position and to see where else we have Technician vacancies live in the UK, click on the Apply button now.
We encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid’s recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.