'Building the world's most sustainable airport'
Environmental Assessment Manager - Resources
Following the government's recent Heathrow expansion announcement, Heathrow has chosen to partner exclusively with Acre, the leader in sustainability and safety recruitment, to build the team of experts who will ensure they build a sustainable future airport.
Heathrow provides the facilities and services for over 80 airlines flying around 75 million passengers a year to over 180 destinations worldwide, and plays an important economic role connecting the whole of the UK to global growth.
The successful applicant of this role will be responsible for leading the resources input for the Heathrow Expansion Programme in relation to energy, water and waste materials.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Developing the approach, ensuring that it is consistent and complimentary to the business strategy, in close consultation with the company's lead expert, and continually assessing the future sustainability performance of the expanded airport to ensure it can deliver strategic objectives
- Ensuring that the expansion programme sustainability choices are presented to the business with clear costs and benefits and when approaches are selected ensure that the programme safeguards, by designing in, the delivery of the benefit
- Working closely with and taking strategic direction from Heathrow's issue expert, the Environment & Resources Manager; the issue expert is the key internal stakeholder who will work with the business to determine the correct strategy for energy, water and waste resources over the short, medium and long term, 2016 through to 2040
- Supporting Heathrow's Environment & Resources Manager in communicating with the rest of the business the strategic approach to resources for an expanded Heathrow
- Ensuring that resource efficiency is at the heart of the expansion programme design thinking; translate the Sustainability Leadership Plan strategies for waste, water and energy into the Expansion Programme, ensuring it delivers a resource efficient Heathrow
- Informing the design options for an expanded Heathrow as they go forward through environmental impact assessment, informing the DCO
To be successful, you will have in-depth knowledge of resource consumption and embodied carbon reduction in a transport infrastructure context and be experienced in the environmental assessment of major development schemes for planning consent.
You will also:
- Be a graduate holding a relevant degree, with strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Be a sustainability and resources (water, energy & waste) expert with experience of working in strategic environmental assessment roles
- Be a proven manager of external consultants with experience of financial and time management, and be used to working in large and virtual teams, achieving results through others
- Be a skilled influencer who can express strategic needs concisely and engender commitment and delivery in others
The way in which Heathrow manages resource consumption at an expanded Heathrow is a fundamental part of their ambition to be a leading sustainable business.
Where they cannot avoid impacts, they have set out to reduce them, to compensate communities and to enhance the natural environment for people and wildlife. This role will be a crucial part of the team to deliver Heathrow's vision of a circular economy and a zero-carbon future. If the thought of leading this excites you, then we encourage you to apply. In return, they offer fantastic benefits including a very generous bonus scheme and development opportunities to take your career even further.