Location: United Kingdom: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Chester, Stockport, Cardiff, Oxford
APEM Limited is Europe’s largest specialist aquatic environmental consultancy. We offer our clients an integrated approach to every aspect of the investigation and management of freshwater catchments and marine habitats and operate UK wide and internationally. Our consultants are recognised experts in their fields, and as a company we pride ourselves on our commitment to scientific rigour and an excellent service in providing solutions to our clients. The Ornithology Team is a global leader in the offshore survey of seabirds, marine mammals and other wildlife, especially in the context of marine renewables.
About the role
Do you want to progress to the next stage in your career? Are you looking for a leadership role in EIA and HRA? Are you looking to work within a busy and experienced Ornithology team? We have an exciting opportunity for you to join us.
Managing the delivery of EIA projects both within the Ornithology team and working closely with the wider EIA and HRA delivery teams across APEM, the successful candidate will contribute to the ongoing strategic development of the Ornithology team, have the opportunity to tender for new work and to look at ways in which the team can diversify. You will help the team deliver projects in the UK, Ireland, Germany, USA and worldwide.
Providing advice and technical expertise, you will work with environmental consultancies and other private sector companies, government agencies and regulatory bodies as well as other external stakeholders, as well as working with internal customers within APEM.
You will be a pragmatic individual who writes clearly and succinctly with a proven track record of data analysis and interpretation of information. You will have a desire to contribute to the development of renewables and the assessment of their impacts on wildlife in the UK and overseas.
You will be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of biology, preferably with a marine slant, have the ability to carefully and robustly analyse wildlife data in the context of anthropogenic factors, and you will write well and succinctly.
You will have experience of working as part of a team
- Excellent knowledge of Environmental Impact Assessment for NSIPs, HRA and of the regulatory environment in which our clients operate.
- A well-developed interest in some or all of ornithology, marine mammals and terrestrial ecology.
- Previous experience of report writing in a research, technical and / or commercial environment.
- Environmental consultancy experience.
- To be comfortable working in a technical and commercial environment
- Analysing biological data and producing and communicating technical reports.
- Bachelors (2.1 or above), Masters or preferably Doctoral thesis in a relevant environmental science (e.g. ornithology, marine mammals, terrestrial ecology or Environmental Impact Assessment)
- Experience of successful EIA delivery
- Ability to deliver projects on time and to budget, to write clearly and to be comfortable communicating with stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- IT literate
- Experience of providing information necessary to bid for work
- Experience of being an expert witness at Hearings and Inquiries
- Ability to develop other team members
In summary you will provide high quality analytical and writing support to the team, will have good knowledge of EIA, some for NSIPs, and will have the opportunity to develop ideas for further work as well as find solutions to the problems faced by clients.
You will be primarily office-based, although site visits and client meetings will be required.
Our benefits package includes 25 days holiday (increasing to a maximum of 30 days in line with length of service), pension, company profit share, private medical insurance, health cash plan, group income protection, death in service insurance, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme, company maternity and paternity pay.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our team will respond to you as soon as possible.