Arup is a firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
We have a new opportunity for a climate change specialist to join our Advanced Technology and Research (AT+R) Group in the UK.
In this role you can be based in our offices in either London, Manchester or Solihull.
The AT+R Group comprises 138 enthusiastic staff (based in offices in London, Solihull and Manchester) working on a wide variety of research, consultancy, analysis and design work for major projects and clients within the infrastructure, buildings, cities, transport, energy, water sectors in the UK and abroad.
The AT+R Group has an existing and growing reputation for its climate change consultancy work and delivers and inputs to an increasing number of projects each year. The scope of our climate change activities covers: climate change impact and risk assessment; adaptation and resilience strategy development; carbon and greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions assessment; and carbon and GHG reduction advice for a broad range of clients and different project contexts. The AT+R Climate Change Team is small but works in a coordinated way with other climate change specialists and relevant disciplines across Arup and its regions to deliver projects around the world
To provide specialist climate change consultancy services working as part of a multidisciplinary team. The candidate will be involved in undertaking assessments of climate change impacts and risks and developing adaptation and resilience strategies, as well as undertaking carbon and GHG emissions assessments and reduction studies.
The candidate will be responsible for their own work and technical checking of others’ work under the guidance of the group’s Senior Climate Change professionals.
The role will provide regular contact and liaison with both internal and external clients, regulatory authorities, research partners and wider stakeholders. There will be a significant business development remit as our aim is to continue to grow our climate change consultancy work, in collaboration with colleagues in the UK and internationally.
All Arup staff benefit from regular training and development, with formal training provided through the Arup University.
Essential skills and knowledge:
Potential candidates are likely to be able to demonstrate experience in some of the following areas:
• Experience of undertaking climate change impact and risk assessments and/or assessments of GHG emissions.
• Experience of developing climate change adaptation and resilience strategies and/or climate change mitigation and emissions reduction strategies.
• Excellent qualitative and quantitative research and analysis skills.
• Excellent report writing and communication skills.
• Good working knowledge of international, European and UK policy, legislative, regulatory and planning frameworks.
• Business development including input to bids and proposals and client relationships.
Candidates should have an appropriate degree and post graduate qualification plus around 5 years’ experience within the climate change or environmental sector. Candidates should be Chartered, or working towards Chartership with an appropriate institution.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
• Expertise in statistical analysis and/or geospatial data analysis.
• Expertise in programming.
• Understanding of GHG modelling and standards.
• Experience of undertaking environmental impact assessments (EIA) and an understanding of BREEAM, CEEQUAL and LEED or similar.
• Understanding of wider environmental risk or corporate risk assessments.
• Knowledge of open data.
• Understanding of systems thinking.
• Appreciation of environmental economics.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, combined with one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. You will also have access to a grade related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.