We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. Arup offers a multidisciplinary service aimed at developing policy, assessing impact, creative design and implementation, gaining regulatory approvals, reporting publicly, managing risk and controlling costs.
We have a track record of delivering health impact assessments for high profile, major infrastructure and development projects and are currently undertaking HIAs for some of the most significant infrastructure projects in the UK.
We are seeking an energetic, enthusiastic and experienced HIA Consultant to work within our environmental impact assessment (EIA) team, delivering and managing HIA projects and helping to grow our HIA business.
We welcome applications from people looking for either a part-time or full-time position.
The position is for an Associate to work within our Environmental Consulting business in London. You will lead HIAs for projects at all levels, including transport, major national infrastructure and urban development projects, policies, strategies and plans. Clients will include private developers, public sector authorities and other organisations. You will be working in a multi-disciplinary environment alongside other environmental, planning, engineering and urban design specialists, and will work closely with related disciplines to integrate health across Arup’s environmental consultancy services.
Your remit will be to undertake and lead technical work, project manage specialists, be responsible for quality and budget control, and assist with proposal preparation and marketing activities. You will be responsible for:
- Managing HIA projects, including programming and financial control
- Writing and reviewing HIA reports
- Delegating work and instructing HIA project teams
- Client liaison
- Stakeholder engagement
- Internal staff training
- Business development
- Assisting with the HIA team's marketing
- Preparing bids and presentations
- Quality control
Requirements and skills Essential skills and knowledge:
You will be a motivated, enthusiastic and competent individual with environmental and/or public health consultancy experience, able to work on your own initiative and to direct more junior staff. You will understand the principles and practice of HIA and have a strong interest in developing business and skills in this area.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Managing HIAs within the planning, design and construction context
- Healthy urban planning, health public policy
- Environmental impact assessment (EIA)
- Policy assessment (Integrated Impact Assessment, Strategic Environmental Assessment, Sustainability Appraisal)
- Public and stakeholder engagement within the planning, design and construction context
- Research in the fields of public health and epidemiology
- Education to degree level, preferably a Masters degree
- Member of an appropriate institute. This could include the Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and Chartered Environmentalist, and/or Royal Society of Public Health, Faculty of Public Health, UK etc.
Reward and benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.