This role is a leadership position within our Midlands Environmental Consulting team and contributing to the overall management and direction of the Environmental Consulting business in Arup. This role will be part of an overall Environmental ‘Centre of Focus’ in Midlands which will form a strong linkage with the Arup Infrastructure Group in Midlands and other UK Environmental teams.
We have a significant number of NSIP / DCO planning applications that include significant environmental appraisal and impact assessments (EIA). These assignments require us to have senior leaders to act as our technical and management integrators.
The Midlands Campus team has very strong rail, highways and energy infrastructure capability. We seek to leverage this to create a stronger EIA proposition for consulting services for our Clients which include Highways England, Severn Trent, Network Rail, HS2, National Grid etc.
The role will provide senior leadership at Project Manager and Project Director level for our major EIA projects. This will include the evolving a strong EIA leadership role for current and future HS2 projects (and other major infrastructure including high speed rail, conventional national rail, major highway schemes, airport expansion etc).
The successful candidate will be expected to participate in wider business activities within Arup. This role reports to the Environmental Consulting Leader in the Midlands.
The successful candidate will act as an Associate Director fulfilling the following role:
- Provision of senior leadership at Project Manager and Project Director level for our major EIA projects;
- Take an active role in current and future HS2 projects either directly in a leadership role or supporting those undertaken leadership roles (and other major infrastructure including high speed rail, conventional national rail, major highway schemes, airport expansion etc ) undertaken by Arup
- Work with current leadership of the Environmental Consulting business to maintain and enhance our senior level capabilities in EIA, this includes managing the transition of staff out of the business (as they retire) and building the capabilities of the team by strategic recruitment;
- With current EIA team leadership, lead the business development for EIA infrastructure work on rail and road development, maintain and develop client network;
- Maintain and enhance Arup’s external reputation by speaking at external events, preparing articles for publication and working with relevant professional bodies;
- Share with existing team leadership the staff management responsibilities for the EIA team, undertaking appraisals, mentoring and staff development plans
- Develop our cross sector working exploring the potential to increase our work in international impact assessment and auditing.
- Work with other senior staff members on preparation of multidisciplinary bids prepared by Environmental Consulting.
- Provide leadership in supporting the overall ambition / growth of an existing 40 strong Midlands environmental team
- Collaborating with leaders in Arup Infrastructure and Buildings groups and other partnering organisations.
- Depth and breadth of planning / environmental consenting and understanding of policy across a wide range of infrastructure sectors.
- Ability and experience of working with a range of client bodies, including both private sector (promoters of infrastructure, utility companies and developers) and public sector (central and/or local government).
- Ability to explain complex processes and highly technical subject matters in an understandable manner.
- Ability to identify issues or risks that affect the project delivery of a project- identify measures to address the issue/ risk and agree how these measures will be implemented.
- Detailed knowledge of EIA processes and strategies to support consenting process for major projects.
- Management of multidisciplinary teams – and understanding of how to integrate the work of other disciplines (engineering, environmental, design).
- Understanding national environmental planning policy issues at all levels – national through to local.
- Development of key stakeholder relationships – local authorities, community groups and government agencies.
- Highly effective presentation and report writing skills.
- Experience of preparing client proposals and leading on presentations to prospective clients.
Influence and Drive:
- Excellent communicator - high level of competency in listening, oral and written skills
- Has demonstrated evidence of encouraging and motivating others and has led teams for specific assignments
- Has a strong values orientation
- Is a team player and comfortable and familiar of work with and integrating inputs from other disciplines (planning, environment, design, transport) and integrating the work of external collaborators / sub-consultants
- Understands the importance of networking and can demonstrate that they currently participate in professional networks
Integrity and Capability:
- Sound technical skills and has developed specialist environmental knowledge in specific topics
- Client focused approach – can demonstrate ability to build client relationships over the long term
- Keeps up to date with emerging technical issues – quick to pick up new subject areas and technical information
- Good management rigour – can communicate plans and strategies to a team
Business Management and Focus:
- Understand the importance of working in a strong performance culture in an employed owned organisation
- Creative - has the ability to consider a range of solutions, beyond the norm, to deliver a project
- Flexible and adaptable – willing to take on new challenges / unfamiliar subject areas or locations for work
- Understands financial objectives of a large multi-disciplinary consultancy and will take responsibility for managing projects on time and within budget
Personal Development of Self and Others:
- Conscientious - ensures that projects / tasks are completed on time and to required standards
- Has a clear understanding of personal strengths and potential areas for improvement
- Continuously challenges what he/she does and is comfortable with challenging a team so that they can perform more effectively
- Sound sense of self-worth and is aware of personal strengths and weaknesses
- Copes with competing demands avoids getting flustered under pressure
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic and is conscientious, meticulous and thorough
- Ownership of a personal development plan – agreed and updated at regular intervals with the team leader
- Experience of leading teams for projects – ideally within a multi-disciplinary environment
- Ensures that the work and outputs of a team are effectively communicated to our Clients
- Ensures that the work of a team is presented to the client and where appropriate to third parties (stakeholders and decision makers) in a positive manner
- Adaptable and able to flex to different team dynamics – comfortable with working with technical experts at a range of levels and can manage them in a way to maximise the potential of the team
- Degree and/or masters in Environmental Science (or similar)
- Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) or CSi
- Member or Fellow of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (FIEMA)
- IEMA Principal EIA Practitioner (not essential – desirable)
- Large infrastructure EIA Experience in a consultancy environment
- Experience of leading large multi-disciplinary projects teams
- Experience of drafting planning reports/ strategies for clients, managing the preparation of planning applications and data analysis
- Experience of promotion, marketing and bid preparation
- Attending and leading client meetings and general contribution to the development of an environmental consulting business
- Working with other groups within a multi-disciplinary environment
- Developing working relationship with other Arup environmental leaders and other Arup leaders within our organisation and also in external forums
- Experience of managing a challenging and varying workload
- Experience of financial accountability for projects and delivery within budget and programme
- Experience of presenting to clients and key stakeholders and promoting a client’s interests through the use of a wide range of presentation techniques
- Confident with proven interpersonal and communication skills
Reward and benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help you with your work/life balance.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.