As an Environmental Assistant at HS2, you will be responsible for delivery of environmental input in
support of the successful passage of the Hybrid Bill for Phase 2A of HS2 through Parliament,
providing assistance and support to the Environmental Adviser.
About the role:
- Assist with the delivery of expert environmental input required to support the passage of the
- bill through Parliament, including the process of environmental impact assessment,
- production of Additional Provision Environment Statements and Supplementary Environment
- Assist with the identification and assessment of the key environmental issues and risks from
- petitions and assist in the delivery of workstreams to address them, including by developing
- proposals for changes to the design of the project or by ensuring that an evidence base is
- created enabling HS2 Ltd is able to defend its position in Select Committee.
- Assist with the preparation of environmental advice, materials and documentation for petition
- management meetings and engagement events, including Select Committee exhibits and
- Q&As for lead witnesses.
- Attend meetings with petitioners to understand concerns and priorities and to identify
- solutions that deliver local benefits whilst being acceptable to HS2 Ltd and Government.
- Attend external engagement meetings and events, serving as an advocate of HS2 and
- promoting the benefits of the design and route, engaging with and influencing a variety of
- external stakeholders, such as MPs and local residents.
- Deputise for the Environmental Adviser in their absence.
- Provide day to day environmental expertise and promote and advocate the environmental
- discipline within HS2 Ltd.
- Degree in a subject related to the environment.
- Planning and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise and deliver day to day tasks.
- Ability to coordinate and deliver multiple tasks and responsibilities in accordance with
- Ability to manage diaries and arrange meetings.
- Good written and spoken communication skills and the ability to develop relationships with
- internal stakeholders.
- Ability to convert technical information into a format that is presentable to a variety of non-
- technical audiences in a compelling and engaging way.
- Ability to take clear and actionable minutes from meetings.
- Understanding of environmental appraisal and its importance as part of a large, complex
- infrastructure project.
- Demonstrable knowledge of environmental issues on infrastructure projects.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all
your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
High Speed 2 (HS2) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the
new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost
the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd is a safety critical organisation with safety being one of our core values. Employees are
required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal
responsibility for working to the HS2 ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working
procedures at all times.