£60,000 - £65,000/annum + CAR Job Location
- United Kingdom -- England -- Yorkshire and the Humber -- E Riding of Yorkshire -- Hull Job Type
16 November 2023 Closing date
21 Dec 2023 23:59
A fantastic opportunity has arisen within Jacksons for a Health Safety & Environmental Manager to join our team on a permanent basis at our Hull site.Job Summary:
The Health, Safety and Environmental Manager is responsible for ensuring legal compliance and that a safe working environment is maintained at our bakery's, storage & distribution centres and within transport operations. This role requires someone who is confident and knowledgeable and able to influence. The HS&E Manager will develop a strong positive culture of Health and Safety, drive behavioural safety, provide professional advice and hands on guidance to all departments within the business. Key Areas of Responsibility:
- To ensure compliance with all relevant statutory Health & Safety and Environmental legislation maintaining a clear company compliance register.
- The maintenance and development of the business Safety and Environmental Management Systems. Developing and implementing safety policies and procedures which both ensure compliance and safe working practices.
- To set and agree with the business leadership team annual safety improvement goals which form part of the annual Health & Safety plan. To work with the wider team to ensure the company achieves it's annual and strategic business objectives.
- To ensure all company personnel adhere to the company policy, procedures and rules.
- To ensure all hazards are identified and that risk assessments and work instructions are completed to enable safe operation and working.
- To manage the annual internal and external audit program (of IS045001 & IS014001), ensuring completion and that any recommendations are captured and improvements implemented.
- Work with the business teams to ensure all equipment is operated safely by trained operators, whether they are employees or contractors.
- To complete regular horizon scanning to ensure continuous improvement in all areas of safety and environmental processes and systems.
- To co-ordinate safety compliance training with the Training Department to ensure safe working. In addition, to complete regular HS&E training for business teams and create and deliver/issue toolbox talks.
- To actively promote and regularly communicate HS&E updates to the wider business, in conjunction with the People Team.
- To organise and co-ordinate the regular business safety management meetings, including those at each bakery. To chair the monthly Central Safety Meeting and the Quarterly Planning Meeting.
- To ensure appropriate processes are in place for the regular reporting of HS&E information to relevant business stakeholders. To regularly analyse safety and environmental data, identifying trends and improvement actions.
- To Manage the process of ensuring that all accidents, incidents near misses and dangerous occurrences are thoroughly investigated. To provide incident reports detailing causes, conclusions and actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- To manage the team of Site Coordinators through clear leadership, conducting regular 1:1s and performance reviews. To ensure clear development plans are in place for the team.
- To ensure compliance to the WJFG and Jackson's Bakery environmental management systems and policy.
- Share best practice for HS&E with other Group Businesses and attend the regular group meetings.
- The role will be working Monday - Friday working 37.5 hours per week.
About you, you will:
- You will be required to travel to all sites in Hull and the Corby site (Company car/car allowance in addition to annual salary)
• Meet our cultural aspirations
• Possess strong leadership traits
• Form pro-active working relationships across the business
• Have experience in a similar manufacturing environmentThose who know you would describe you as:
You should be able to demonstrate qualities that match Jacksons Values:
- Able to prioritise workload and work well under pressure
- Logical thinker who works well to deadlines
- Excellent and confident communicator
- Organised and tenacious, ensuring actions are met
- Excellent ERP/Microsoft skills
Qualifications & Experience:Essential
- NEBOSH General Certificate in Health & Safety
- IOSH (Institute of Occupational Safety & Health) Managing Safety Qualification.
- Previous experience in using Management systems such as OHSAS18001/ISO45001
A little bit about us and our history
- Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety & Health
Jacksons is part of William Jackson Food Group, a sixth generation family business founded by William Jackson when he opened his first shop in Hull in September 1851. Today we have a portfolio of four food businesses in distinct, yet complimentary market areas, employing around 2,000 people.
We have occupied the current site in Hull since 1907 and we now have 3 bread plants in our main bakery. We recently developed a second bakery, also at our site in Hull, which specialises in premium quality roll production.
We specialise in the supply of bread and other carriers to the sandwich manufacturers, foodservice and export channels, and in 2012 we launched our consumer facing brand "Jackson's of Yorkshire".
In 2018 we opened a brand-new site in Corby, Northamptonshire - one of the largest investments our Group has ever made - and this will allow us to realise our ambition of being the best at what we do.
2023 is an exciting time to join us - make this year a toast to you and apply now!Business Values
You will live and breathe our 5 business values in everything that you do. You will inspire our colleagues to demonstrate our values in their every day working lives, and you will challenge any behaviors that you feel contravene our values.
- Since 1851, we've been passionate about ensuring that every loaf we make is baked to perfection. We're passionate about our bread and about Jacksons, and we take responsibility and try our hardest every day.
- We never lose sight of our history but understand we need to be bold and ambitious to be successful in the future. We're not afraid of trying new things, and we quickly learn from our mistakes.
- We look after each other. We're friendly and welcoming - everyone feels a part of the team. Together with our shareholders, we care about our business and our future, we are frugal and spend wisely. Our local communities matter too, and we play our part in making them a better place to live.
- We create the best bread, deliver great service and celebrate our team's success. We are exceptionally proud of what we do but never arrogant. Down to earth is how you'll find us.
- We strive to be the best at what we do, from baking great bread, to delivering great service. We use our expertise every day, and play our part in improving our business. We know our stuff but we're always learning and we make sure we learn together!Why Jacksons?
In return for your commitment as a Jacksons employee you will receive:
- Competitive salary paid every 4 weeks.
- 6.6 weeks holiday, increasing to 7 weeks' with 5 years' continuous service.
- Stakeholder pension with generous employer contributions.
- Free bread allowance.
- Employee assistance programme.
- Online benefits portal providing exclusive discounts with over 900 retailers.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Support grants available for colleagues' children attending University.
- New starter goodie bag
Please note that we reserve the right to close this recruitment campaign before the advertised closing date. As such, we advise you to submit your application at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
Thanks for reading our job advert. We do our very best to bring to life what it's like working as part of our team. Diverse teams really are the best teams. We want everyone to feel they can be themselves at work and develop their talents to the full. All colleagues are expected to take personal responsibility for keeping our workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and bullying - a place where everyone is treated fairly and respectfully. We also know that sometimes some candidates may be put off applying for a job unless they think they can tick every box. If you are really excited about working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren't sure if you are 100% there yet... go on... why not give it a whirl? Good luck!