Science and Technology Facilities Council
Salary: £57,463 per annum
Contract Type: Open-Ended (permanent)
Location: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0QX
Closing Date: 22nd November 2023
Together, our scientist, technologists, engineers and business support team explore the unknown and turn what they find into work that changes the world around us. Whether it's sending probes into space or finding new ways to treat cancer, everyone here plays a vital role in making a positive difference to society.
Come and discover how much you can achieve when you're surrounded by world-leading experts, encouraged to constantly learn and empowered to explore your curiosity.
Reporting to the Environmental Sustainability Programme Director, the Head of Environmental Sustainability (ES) will be responsible for ensuring STFC delivers an Environmental Management System that supports and complements the ambitions of the ES action plan. Within this role, you will establish long term strategic direction, plans, delivery metrics and targets as part of a vigorous programme to deliver UKRI and STFCs environmental sustainability goals. You will plan, manage, and report on these programmes, and help to motivate and inspire others to deliver environmental sustainability improvements.
You will be required to find solutions to complex and difficult problems, using your extensive technical and project management skills to determine the best course of actions and delivering successes. You will also lead on forming and maintaining external stakeholder relationships in the field of Environmental Sustainability, where suitable forming alliances with organisations with similar challenges and ambitions.
Provide line management and leadership to the Energy and Carbon function within the Environmental Sustainability team, as well as line management and mentoring of up to two graduates, focusing upon developing a high-quality delivery capability within the organisation.
• Leading on managing the development, implementation, and maintenance of an organisation wide Environment Management System (EMS).
• Lead on all aspects of ecological management at STFC sites providing plans, programmes, and action plans to promote nature recovery, also providing the central expertise and advice for STFC departments.
• Leading on delivery of elements of the STFC Environmental Sustainability Action Plan, developing work packages on decarbonisation, ensuring objectives and actions have resourced work programmes assigned and delivery is managed.
• Leading on devising, prioritising, and implementing carbon reduction projects identified to the meet the challenges of the STFC ES Action Plan, and working to support the UKRI/STFC Net Zero by 2040 ambition.
• Leading on management of monitoring and reporting for identified environmental sustainability aspects, fulfilling both internal and external reporting requirements.
• Shared Management of the Environmental Sustainability Teams annual budget, managing contracts and contractors through the whole procurement lifecycle.
• Leading on the development, implementation, and day to day managements of a new STFC Net Zero Building Design Standard for new buildings and refurbishments to ensure zero and low carbon options are actively included, costed, and protected for the lifespan of projects.
• Providing an expert technical resource in all aspects of environmental sustainability, but with emphasis on energy management and renewable technologies, carbon management and calculation, ecology issues and climate risk and mitigation. Providing advice and guidance to meet internal and external customer needs.
• Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of technological, legal and policy developments in the energy and carbon sector to provide the centrally accessible information repository for the rest of the organisation.
• Ensure effective and systematic communication with senior stakeholders, delivering clear & concise management information e.g. Contractor performance KPI's and progress reports.
• Preparing appropriate business cases and Executive Board/Council papers to aid fact-based decision making.
• Provide effective line management to staff, providing leadership and coaching support to ensure that development and performance needs are addressed.
• Degree level qualification or comparable experience in an environmental science or sustainability field.
• Demonstrable leadership skills, budget management, IT literacy, pro-active and flexible approach to work, with a willingness to travel on occasion.
• High level of personal integrity and passion for environmental sustainability, demonstrable CPD.
• Experience and expertise in change activities relating to environmental sustainability. Excellent reporting skills with experience of managing environmental sustainability information to drive improvement.
• Excellent understanding of scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions and carbon budgets. Along with practical knowledge of sustainability standards and reporting frameworks such as ISO14001, ISO50001, PAS2080
• Excellent programme and project management and organisational skills - able to manage multiple high-level projects and conflicting priorities.
• Demonstrable experience in building and collaborating with internal and external networks to develop and deliver best-in-class projects and to identify and share best practice.
• Excellent communications and interpersonal skills - able to effectively drive and recognise continual environmental improvement through environmental sustainability interventions.
• Demonstrable knowledge of UK environmental law and UK Government reporting standards and ability to interpret emerging requirements.
• Practical knowledge of ecological management and biodiversity legislation (including Biodiversity Net Gain), demonstrable experience of habitat management and species monitoring.
• Project/programme management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, APM)
• Experience of working with the research & innovation sector and knowledge of relevant UKRI strategy, business, policy, expert domains and stakeholders
• External environmental or sustainability auditing experience and/or qualifications e.g. ISO 14001, 50001 lead audit qualification
• Knowledge of carbon accounting standards and the UN SDG's.
• Membership/Chartership of appropriate body (e.g. IEMA)
STFC values their employees by offering a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days annual leave, 10.5 public and privilege holidays, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional average salary pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies and a subsidised restaurant.
As one of Europe's largest research organisations, this is a place where there's always something new to learn about the world around us, about your career, but most of all, about yourself.
Join us and discover what's possible by submitting your CV and covering letter which outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation for STFC and the role.
About The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
As one of Europe's largest research organisations, we ask the biggest questions in the universe to find answers that change the world around us. We seek understanding. We're proud of the impact we make. And we're committed to helping build a globally competitive, knowledge-based UK economy. Being part of all this means contributing to work that pushes boundaries and creates possibilities. You'll work with, and learn from, true experts. Whatever your role, you'll be free to question, and encouraged to share ideas. And, in a positive and supportive culture, you'll discover just what a difference you can make when you're equipped and inspired to excel.
We're a place where curious minds thrive. Not bound by profit, we explore ideas that others don't, ask questions that others won't, and discover answers that others are not equipped to find. And, alongside Mars landings and black holes, we also explore diverse, international projects in everything from science and engineering to computing and technology. Whether it's at the cutting edge or behind the scenes, our work is intellectually challenging. It's very often ground-breaking. And it's endlessly, irresistibly fascinating.
For more information about STFC please visit https://stfc.ukri.org/
You can also visit our careers site https://www.stfccareers.co.uk/
About UK Research Innovation (UKRI)
UKRI is an organisation that brings together the seven disciplinary research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. Together, we build an independent organisation with a strong voice and vision ensuring the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Supporting some of the world's most exciting and challenging research projects, we develop and operate some of the most remarkable scientific facilities in the world. We are pushing the frontiers of human knowledge through fundamental research and delivering benefits for UK society and the economy through world-class research, skills and business-led innovation.
More information can be found at www.ukri.org .
Choosing to come to work at UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme, excellent holiday entitlement, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme. For more details, visit benefits of working for UKRI .
How we support EDI in the workforce
At UKRI, we believe that everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect, and to be provided with equal opportunities to thrive and succeed in an environment that enables them to do so. We also value diversity of thought and experience within inclusive groups, organisations and the wider community. For further information, please visit 'How we support EDI in the workforce' .
Disability Confident Employer
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
How to apply
Online applications only preferred for this role. Please submit a CV and covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation for UKRI and the role. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit an application without a covering letter may result in the application not being considered. Assessment will only be based upon the content of your submitted covering letter and CV and not the 'experience' section of the application.
UKRI seeks to ensure it creates and maintains a system of openness, fairness and inclusion - a collaborative, trusted environment, which is attractive to and accessible to everyone who is interested in developing their career with us.