About the role About the Role
Balfour Beatty Power Transmission and Distribution (BBPTD) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Environmental Sustainability Manager
to join our Power Transmission and Distribution team in Scotland. With our main office at Eurocentral and many new projects now online with our client SSEN we have the perfect fit for someone who enjoys travelling throughout Scotland and working in the great outdoors. We offer the opportunity for a mix working from home, project based site work and at our main office. The BBPTD Environment and Sustainability Team has a wide background of team players, with a project hands-on approach, who support each other and their projects on environment and sustainability matters to look after the local environment and facilitate project delivery.
This role will see you working within the E&S Function working with our operational teams, project engineers and managers on the ASTI schemes across Scotland
for all aspects of environmental and sustainability management, championing best-practice, developing environmental documentation, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement. You will work with project teams to deliver OHL and Substation projects, support the client and liaise with regulators to ensure environmental requirements are complied with, support on site environmental management, and engage with local stakeholders and members of the public. Helping us look after the sensitive environmental settings in which we work and progressing sustainability delivery. What you'll be doing What you'll be doing
Who we're looking forWho were looking for
- Provide advice and support to the project ES Team and operational teams on environmental matters and sustainability delivery, at all times with the backing of your E&S Team Scotland colleagues.
- Develop and maintain project environmental management documentation, ensure environment and sustainability delivery and aid delivery of biodiversity net gain.
- Help maintain relationships within the project team, regulators, the client and subcontractors.
- Support and maintain a working relationship with the project environmental setting to help us look after the local ecology ,water environment and habitat.
- Report on good practices and investigate and report on environmental incidents to the project teams and the client with the support of your colleagues.
- Ensure the environmental management system is maintained in line with changing standards and legislation, planning conditions and Client requirements.
- Driving down carbon and looking for new ways of working to reduce emissions further
- Ensure site compliance with environmental legislation and coach teams in applying controls and mitigations.
- Greater than 8-years environmental experience ideally in construction.
- Experience and strong knowledge of environment management, sustainable development and related best-practice protocols.
- Experience or knowledge of Biodiversity Net Gain.
- Educated to degree level in Environmental Science or Environmental Management.
- Practical experience and knowledge of environmental legislation, ecology and archaeology mitigation, environmental licences and consent applications and regulators (preferred).
- Understanding of ecological and archaeological matters, work with the environmental regulator and environmental law.
- Valid driver's licence.
- Desire to travel and work away from home with willingness to enjoy working in the great outdoors.
- Good understanding of Carbon and carbon reporting tools
- Proficient in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook.
- A previous role as Senior Environmental Advisor or Environmental Manager in the Power Transmission Construction Industry would offer a positive fit into the role
Why work for us
- Experience of managing a team of environment and sustainability professionals
- GIS knowledge and working experience (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Planning experience
- IEMA, IES Membership or of similar professional bodies
- Strong understanding of the utilities/construction/engineering operating environment
Our people are our biggest asset , and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package in addition to a competitive base salary and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
- Company car
- Medical health cover
- BB Pension Scheme
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Payment of an annual professional membership
- Enhanced maternity & family friendly policies
- Real career progression opportunities
- Access to our employee referral scheme
- Discretionary annual salary reviews
Balfour Beatty's Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.