Job Energy & Sustainability Manager, Estates Department, Permanent, Full Time Salary:
£47,110.00 - £51,016 (Inclusive of London Weighting ) depending on experience Location:
ZSL Whipsnade Zoo/Regents Park/Hybrid Overview of the Role
The role of Energy Manager is both a strategic and operational position aligned to ZSL's ambitions to reduce carbon emissions, increasing energy efficiency, and maximising renewable energy utilisation, and tracking and minimising operational utility costs.
To develop, implement, manage, and monitor the effective delivery of ZSLs energy and carbon reduction plan through a programme of energy/carbon reduction initiatives site management and project co-ordination to improve ZSL's overall energy performance and reduction in its carbon footprint. Working with key personnel within Estates and the wider ZSL community, manage the effective integration of environmental, energy, water and carbon management best practices into all activities undertaken across ZSL to minimise energy and water consumption and to promote and provide an organisation that is environmentally sustainable.
- To manage energy, spend and budgets at both London and Whipsnade in conjunction with the ZSL Technical and Compliance Manager/incumbent FM provider and to lead energy reduction management.
- To advise/review on Masterplanning sustainability/energy/carbon reduction as set out in the ZSL 200 strategy document.
- To lead the operation of the ZSL Environmental Management System (EMS), ensuring compliance with relevant standards (e.g. ISO14001) and delivery against action plan targets set within the EMS.
- To develop, implement and manage policy and procedural guidance on sustainability and to be the lead contact for ZSL on all matters relating to sustainability.
- Develop and deliver an organisational Energy Strategy, to deliver progress against Greening Government targets for carbon and utilities water reductions.
- Manage all utilities contracts, including energy procurement, and maintain close relationships with relevant external stakeholders. Manage the ZSL for both London & Whipsnade Zoo utility budgets, forecasting spend and profiling against seasonal variations, delivering cost effective utilities contracts for Kew that also meet our organisational targets.
- Ensure compliance with energy related legislation such as Energy Performance in Building Regulations, Climate Change Act, Clean Air Act, Fluorinated Greenhouse Gas Regulations, Part L building legislation. Maintaining knowledge of relevant current government policy and direction
- Establish and maintain strategic networking links to attract project funding from external private sector / government initiatives. Understand eligibility for government incentives in order to maximise commercial viability of projects.
- Manage as part of a project team, energy efficiency projects to specified timelines and budgets in order to support the estates capital projects and 10-year maintenance plan.
Please see a full job description here The ideal candidate will:
- Advanced skills in using MS office packages, specifically Excel and PowerPoint or equivalent software packages will be acceptable.
- Working knowledge of energy and environmental legislation, policy and best practice applicable to ZSL including the Carbon Reduction Commitment Energy Efficiency Scheme, Energy Performance in Buildings Directive, F-Gas Regulations, Climate Change Act 2008, Part L building regulation
- Familiarity with managing competing priorities and delegate effectively.
- Experience of leading, developing and implementing energy/carbon management strategies within a range of building/property types.
- Must be familiar with the latest building management system and automatic metering and targeting packages.
We strongly encourage applications from all backgrounds and celebrate the value of having a team of employees with diverse skills, experiences, and heritage. We are committed to ensuring our teams can bring their authentic selves to work without fear of discrimination. ZSL has active equality networks for our staff with lived experience and those who provide active allyship in Race and Culture, Team Pride, Disability Network, and Menopause Network, complemented by our strategic EDI Steering Group. About Us
We're ZSL, an international conservation charity. Through our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos (London Zoo and Whipsnade Zoo), the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists, our purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals going extinct. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we're working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. What do we offer?
At ZSL, we are proud of our approach to employee benefits. Our benefits include:
- Our vision and purpose - you'll work alongside colleagues who are passionate about science-led conservation, knowing that you will help us to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wildlife going extinct
- Pension scheme - we offer a generous pension scheme with up to 12% contributory pension.
- Flexible working - talk to us about your flexible working requirements and we will do everything we can to make sure you work in a way that suits you
- Holidays - 25 days annual leave allowance, plus UK bank holidays
- Wellbeing - access to a blended programme of wellbeing initiatives, including confidential access to our 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
- Complimentary tickets - annual allocation of Whipsnade Zoo and London Zoo tickets, with a 30% discount in online and retail shop
- Cycle2Work - our cycle to work scheme enables you to lease a bicycle
- Season ticket loan - we offer an interest free loan to buy a season ticket for travel between home and work
- Family friendly policies - we offer enhanced maternity and paternity packages
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online
" button. If you require any reasonable adjustments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) on Sunday the 3rd of Demember 2023Provisional interview date: Monday 11th of Demember 2023