About the role
Balfour Beatty is looking for a talented Environmental Sustainability Manager
to join our Highways Team. Preferably you will be based in or around the north/northwest of England. This role will see you managing & leading the sustainability and environmental advisors within the allocated area. You will help to deliver a culture of continual improvement, ensuring contractual and regulatory requirements are delivered, providing sustainability and environmental support and advice to the projects and regional teams whilst meeting legal and company standards.What you'll be doing
As an Environmental Sustainability Manager
Who we're looking for
- Lead and manage the overall capability, development, deployment and
performance of the Environment and Sustainability delivery team for a project portfolio.
- Implementation of the E&S strategy for the project, including development of appropriate action plans.
- Advise and guide all levels within the business. Senior/Regional Managers, Project Managers, Project Engineers, peers, operatives, office staff and subcontractors.
- Support the E&S upskilling and development of the business operational teams, assisting in the identification of site E&S training needs.
- : justify;">Manage, support, develop and coach Environmental and Sustainability Advisors and Early Careers.
- : justify;">Manage external stakeholders, regulators and in line with the overall business approach.
- Responsible for the management of sustainability and environmental risks and mitigation, consultation with clients, stakeholders and regulators.
- Support the company environmental management system ensuring it is implemented and operated in line with changing standards and legislation on contracts.
- Conduct site E&S Inspections, visits and joint tours.
- Ensure the projects complies with all Regulations, Company Policies, consents/licences, and the BMS/EMS and that it is continually improved
- Support their Project /Business area during incident/accident investigations
- Environmental Degree, NEBOSH Environmental Diploma / IEMA Certificate or related discipline.
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Strong working knowledge of Energy and Carbon [PAS 2080]
- Knowledge of investigation (root cause analysis) techniques for incident investigation.
- Experience in managing others who provide administrative support within a Health, Safety and Environment department.
- Experience of chairing meetings, both with the workforce and supply chain.
- Strong and effective communication skills to deliver key safety messages.
- Experience in construction environment (desirable)
- Full UK driver's licence and flexibility to travel
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- PIEMA or IEMA Membership
- Masters degree in relevant field
- Knowledge of the Construction Industry
- Working under or delivering a DCO or other consenting regimes
Our people are our biggest asset , and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package in addition to a competitive base salary and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level. Some of our key benefits are:
- Company car or car allowance
- Medical Health Cover
- Discretionary annual bonus
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- BB Pension Scheme
- Enhanced maternity and family friendly policies
- Payment of 1 annual professional membership
- Employee referral scheme
Balfour Beatty Highways delivers major schemes including smart motorway upgrade programmes, complex national infrastructure projects and regional investment programme works for National Highways. We have a strong orderbook and a positive pipeline of opportunities, we put our customer, the road user, at the heart of everything we do. We work safely, delivering net carbon reductions and social value to the communities within which we work.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: