About the role
Balfour Beatty Power Transmission and Distribution (BBPTD) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Environmental Sustainability Manager to join our Power Transmission and Distribution team in England and Wales. Responsible for delivering one of our next major onshore cabling civils projects, we have the perfect opportunity for an established Environmental Sustainability Manager to continue to develop their career with an established project delivery team. We offer the opportunity for a mix of part-time working from home however the role will largely be project based site work and at our main project compound near York. The BBPTD Environmental Sustainability Team has a wide background of team players, with a project hands-on approach, who support each other and their projects on environment and sustainability matters to look after the local environment and aid project delivery.What you'll be doing
This role will see you leading the ES Function on the project and report into the Head of Sustainability and have a dotted line into the Project Director. You and your team will support operational teams, project engineers and managers on aspects of sustainability and environmental management and best-practice, developing environmental documentation, meeting legal and company standards. You will work with your ES Team to help ensure the environmental requirements of Clients and Regulators are complied with, support on site mitigation, and engage with local stakeholders and members of the public. You will also help us look after the sensitive environmental settings in which we work as well as progressing sustainability delivery for Balfour Beatty and for our clients.
The lookahead for projects in England and Wales is very strong with modernisation, refurbishment and newbuild projects planned over the coming decades as part of the wider UK programme to bring more and reinforce capability in supporting renewable generation, transmission and distribution. This project will play a huge part in realising our clients vision and contribute significantly to the UKs net zero aspirations.
Here at Balfour Beatty we are working hard to support the government's ambitions to deliver low-carbon energy across the UK and beyond. We are on our way to leading every market we are in and we have the strategy and momentum to get there. If you are looking for a career in Power, working within BBPTD on our projects will give you experience and exciting challenges that no other industry can offer. Your main responsibilities include;
Who we're looking for
- Provide advice, support and direction to your operational project management team to enable them to deliver environmentally compliant projects and sustainable opportunities in line with environmental legislation, BB procedures and client requirements and the building new futures strategy
- Manage a team of ES Advisors, Projects Ecologists and Project Archaeologists to ensure the successful delivery of a range of ES deliverables including discharge of planning conditions, completion of all archaeological work, implementation of ecological mitigations and delivery of client sustainability requirements
- Provide high level review of ES content in construction methodologies, risk registers, price build ups, programmes and other project specific deliverables
- Report on good practices and investigate and report on environmental incidents to the project teams and the client with the support of your colleagues
- Lead and manage incident investigations and non-conformances
- Take part in lessons learnt exercises and consider areas for improvements
- Work with the Head of Sustainability to promote Zero Harm objectives and Building New Futures strategies and drive continuous improvement of performance
- Be the main point of contact for regulators and other environmental stakeholders on the project, proactively engaging with them over areas of concern or difficulty
- Attend all project management meetings as the lead ES representative
- Fully understand and deliver against client sustainability requirements, working collaboratively with the wider project team to ensure these are delivered and recorded
- Ensure the delivery of BREEAMi with the client and the implementation of the project Social Value plan
- Develop professional relationships with customers and specifically their Sustainability professionals
- Represent Balfour Beatty at internal and external meetings and conferences if require
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- A relevant degree or equivalent in an environmental discipline
- Thorough working knowledge of current environmental legislation
- Strong working knowledge of the construction sector, preferably Utilities
- Experience in deciphering technical documents and translating into operational terms
- Strong background in assessing environmental hazards and understanding of the mechanisms of how to mitigate
- Awareness or knowledge of Biodiversity Net Gain
- Previous experience of dealing with regulators
- Demonstrated successful capability in effective communication skills at all levels, ability to build relationships across all levels of the organisation and competent in producing reports
- Professional and pragmatic team player who can build and sustain effective working relationships
- Strong business awareness, employee focus and attention to detail
- Programme management experience with a structured approach to organising and documenting progress
- Commercial awareness of contracting and experience of managing subcontractors
- Valid Driving Licence
- Interest in the utilities/construction/engineering operating environment.
- Proficient in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
Why work for us
- Appropriate IEMA level or equivalent professional accreditation
- Working knowledge of E&S Management systems
- GIS knowledge and working experience (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Experience of delivering against CEEQUAL/BREEAMi
Our people are our biggest asset, and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of tomorrow. We support and nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package in addition to a competitive base salary and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
The Environmental Sustainability Team in England and Wales is one family and we work closely to support each other and our project teams to look after our environment and aid project delivery, including a positive working relationship with the wider BBPTD ES community across Scotland.About us
Balfour Beatty's Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects both historically and as we move forward in the 21 st Century.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications