About the role About the Role
Balfour Beatty Power Transmission and Distribution (BBPTD) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Environment & Sustainability Manager
to join our Power Transmission and Distribution team in Scotland. We offer the opportunity for a mix of part-time working from home, project based site work and at our main office. The BBPTD Environment and Sustainability Team has a wide background of team players, with a project hands-on approach, who support each other and their projects on environment and sustainability matters to look after the local environment and facilitate project delivery.
This role will see you reporting to the Skye Project Director within the ES Function working with and supporting operational teams, project engineers and managers on the Skye Overhead Line and Cable Project
for all aspects of environmental and sustainability management, championing best-practice, developing environmental documentation, meeting legal and company standards and helping deliver a culture of continual improvement. You will work with project teams to deliver OHL and Cable sections both on the Isle of Skye and on the mainland, support the client and liaise with regulators to ensure environmental requirements are complied with, support on site environmental management, and engage with local stakeholders and members of the public. Helping us look after the sensitive environmental settings in which we work and progressing sustainability delivery through the most scenic and rugged terrain in Scotland.
Be a key part of the team delivering the transition to a decarbonised energy system by 2035 What you'll be doing What you'll be doing
Who we're looking forWho were looking for
- Provide advice and support to the project ES Team and operational teams on environmental matters and sustainability delivery, at all times with the backing of your ES Team Scotland and wider UK colleagues.
- Develop and maintain project environmental management documentation, ensure environment and sustainability delivery and aid delivery of biodiversity net gain.
- Help maintain relationships within the project team, regulators, the client and subcontractors.
- Support and maintain a working relationship with the project environmental setting to help us look after the local ecology ,water environment and habitat.
- Report on good practices and investigate and report on environmental incidents to the project teams and the client with the support of your colleagues.
- Ensure the environmental management system is maintained in line with changing standards and legislation, planning conditions and Client requirements.
- Ensure site compliance with environmental and sustainability legislation and coach teams in applying controls and mitigations.
Why work for us
- Greater than 8-years environmental experience in construction.
- Experience and strong knowledge of environment management, sustainable development and related best-practice protocols.
- Experience or knowledge of Biodiversity Net Gain.
- Educated to degree level in Environmental Science or Environmental Management or similar.
- Practical experience and knowledge of environmental legislation, ecology and archaeology mitigation, environmental licences and consent applications and regulators (preferred).
- Understanding of ecological and archaeological matters, work with the environmental regulator and environmental law.
- Familiar with implementation of carbon management systems such as PAS2080
- Valid driver's licence.
- Ability to work away from home when required with a willingness to enjoy working in the great outdoors.
- Proficient in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook.
- A previous role as Senior Environmental Advisor or Environmental Manager in the Power Transmission Construction Industry would offer a positive fit into the role
- Experience of managing a team of environment and sustainability professionals
- GIS knowledge and working experience (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Planning experience
- IEMA, IES Membership or of similar professional bodies
- Strong understanding of the utilities/construction/engineering operating environment
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
- Medical health cover
- BB Pension Scheme
- Company car
- 25 days annual leave on top of bank holidays (with additional holiday purchase option)
- Payment of an annual professional membership
- Family friendly policies
- Real career progression opportunities
- Annual Bonus Scheme
Balfour Beatty's Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects. Diversity & Inclusion
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business.
To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality. You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction.
Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans, and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: