Installation Senior Technical Specialist (Environmental Permitting Regulations and Control of Major Accident Hazards)
Region: London, South East England, East of England
City/Town: Welwyn Garden City
Are you ready to join an organisation that celebrates diversity and embraces everyone? The Environment Agency offers a unique opportunity for anyone looking for flexible working conditions! This is the perfect moment in time to be part of our pioneering regulatory teams, helping industry transition towards a greener future. Plus, experienced COMAH leads can really make their mark on national-scale projects with us - come help create a better place through influence and leadership as an Installations Technical Leader today.
As an Installations Technical Leader, your responsibilities include leading on COMAH for the Hertfordshire and North London area, providing technical advice on complicated regulatory matters as well as mentoring colleagues along their journey of development. You would also be responsible for site-based inspections for the sites you are given permit compliance responsibility for – both process industry sectors such as Incineration, Combustion, chemicals and Food and Drink as well as COMAH sites. Moreover, you'll help drive progress by shaping strategies while managing potential risks with quality assurance measures - so that everyone is able to perform at their best.
What do you need:
• The ideal candidate will have a comprehensive knowledge of COMAH as well as significant regulatory and/or industrial experience across a range of industries and/or significant experience in a technical, scientific, civil engineering (e.g. landfill, civil or chemical) or medical workplace [however for the right candidate with the right technical skills we could provide training on COMAH].
• Skilled in influencing, negotiating, and building relationships.
• Track record of delivering results, developing people, and driving improvement.
• The ability to lead on COMAH for the Area, setting direction and training/mentoring colleagues on the desired business direction and outcomes.
• Able to work independently, interpret legislation / technical standards that are required, effectively regulate those sites you are given responsibility for, including writing reports and interpreting data.
• Computer literacy is essential.
• Membership of a relevant professional body is beneficial.
• Driving licence is essential.
What you will get:
- Training, support for professional development Wellbeing programmes Employee benefits Flexible hybrid working hours 27 days annual leave + 8 Bank Holidays
Where you will work
Our installation teams work tirelessly across different sectors to ensure compliance at industrial sites. From busy urban areas to more rural locations throughout Hertfordshire and North London, our experts face unique environmental problems every day - all whilst liaising with industry leaders and local communities! This position will involve interacting frequently with stakeholders from numerous backgrounds.
Our Welwyn Garden City office has a hybrid model allowing individuals to work either at home or at our office (a minimum number of days in the office per week will be agreed with your line manager - dependent on business needs and reviewed periodically).
Contact and Additional Information
At the Environment Agency, we go above and beyond when it comes to diversity—we seek out new perspectives, welcome different experiences and promote inclusivity both within our staff team as well as wider communities. We're on a mission to create lasting change for people's lives across every corner of society.
Responding to incidents is a central part of what we do. You will be required to have an incident role and make yourself available to respond to incidents, or provide business continuity support during an incident. This may attract an additional payment and full training and workplace adjustments will be available to support you with your incident role.
The information in the candidate pack is available and should be read in conjunction with the advert to understand key accountabilities and skills for success in this role.
If you have any questions in relation to this advert please direct them to WFPG_HNL@environment-agency.gov.uk.
Closing date: 26 September 2023, 23:55 hours.