Job Description :
Environmental Manager (Business Leader)
Job Location : Cameronbridge Distillery, Scotland (Although posted in several locations, the role is only based on site at Cameronbridge Distillery. Candidates would need to live in, commute to or be willing to relocate to the area 5 days a week)
Join our Supply Team
As the home of iconic brands such as Baileys, Guinness, Smirnoff, and Johnnie Walker, at Diageo we source, produce and deliver 6.5 billion litres of world-leading products every year across 180 markets globally. Because of this huge undertaking, we rely on highly advanced systems as well as the very best talent to make sure our businesses continue to run efficiently.
This role will provide support across Diageo’s Cameronbridge Distillery which is the largest grain distillery in Scotland and supplies single grain whisky to some of our much-loved Scotch brands including Johnnie Walker and produces white spirits including Smirnoff, Gordon's Gin and Tanqueray.
About this role
Cameronbridge is Diageo’s only grain distillery in Scotland and the site must be able to resolve any utility or compliance issues rapidly and continually operate at the highest possible efficiencies. Cameronbridge has added complexity with its local on River Leven, taking from the river for cooling water as well as ensuring return to the river is clean. The site plays an integral role on the River Leven Trust to ensure the wider ecosystem is sustainable.
Looking at the context of Cameronbridge in Diageo’s world-wide production footprint, the site is an increasingly important contributor to global environmental work streams and CSR initiatives which are striving to establish the company on the right trajectory to achieve its ambitious 2030 environmental targets.
As the the Environment Business Leader (BL) reporting to the Operations Director, you will lead internal and external partners focussed on environmental management and wider sustainability. You will be the key site contact for managing the sites relationship with environmental and energy regulators and other environmental stakeholders (e.g., utility providers, local groups) combined with driving a clear energy efficiency and reduction strategy for grain distilling enabling the site to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030.
You will also support asset care excellence program by driving continuous improvement in addition to supporting the sharing of environmental best practice across the site. You will ensure that Cameronbridge operates at the highest levels of environmental performance and achieves benchmark status in terms of cost and environmental impacts.
Key responsibilities include :
- Handling the site’s relationship with external partners such as, but not limited to, Fife Council and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA), Scottish water, Forth Fisheries Board
- Ensuring that all environmental regulatory and compliance standards are met or surpassed, including PPC A Permit management, UK ETS (data management and notification), and CAR.
- Governing environmental management including the environmental management system, acting as environmental contact for all management of changes, communications, and COSHH, lead any statutory engagement.
- Supporting development of strong culture for site environmental awareness through outstanding level of employee engagement.
- Acting as the sustainability subject matter expert to identify improvement projects and implementation plans for energy and water optimization, carbon reduction, general efficiency improvements, waste reduction, and climate change mitigation.
- They will define key performance indicators and then run a range of project teams to deliver agreed targets. The role holder will influence Cameronbridge director & senior operations managers on the most value-add initiatives and ideas to implement across our business area. The role holder will lead a specialist function within the site operations team that will be responsible for delivery of the key site and Diageo environmental/ financial metrics. They will also influence local Business Leaders and Teams to help identify the best method of carrying out projects. Monitor and supervise current fuel, electricity, water, wastewater, recycling, and disposal costs, develop additional, and lead current energy, carbon, water, and waste key performance indicators and report on benchmarks.
- With the Business Development Manager, you will have responsibility for the development and delivery of the Sustainability team objectives and is constrained only by the need to operate within the performance promise, annual operational plan and the broader 3-year CAPEX plan.
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills and ability to communicate to all levels across the distillery
- Strong project management skills with ability to lead various diverse projects, on differing timelines and have a consistent track record of doing so
- Capability to consider change management implications from a cross site perspective, using engagement tools and techniques
- Capability to shape the future looking at strategy, generate designs and handover implementation
- A degree in environmental management, engineering, or equivalent experience across a range of technical/ operational / environmental roles including process operations, engineering, and project management
- An understanding of distilling processes, energy management & contract management but this is not crucial
Working with Us
Join us and you can also expect a highly competitive and flexible rewards and benefits package including annual bonus, product allowance, 6 months paid family leave, private medical insurance, share options, contributary pension scheme.
Celebrating our inclusive and diverse culture is core to Diageo’s purpose of “celebrating life every day everywhere”. This purpose is, in itself, inclusive in nature, as it values everybody irrespective of background, disability, religion, gender identity, sexuality or ethnicity.
We know that for our business to thrive and for Diageo to realize its ambition, we depend on having diverse talent with a range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities in each of the 180 countries in which we operate and to reflect our broad consumer base. We view diversity as one of the key enablers that helps our business to grow and our values, purpose and standards set the conditions for us to respect the outstanding contribution each person brings.
From Arthur Guinness to Johnnie Walker, our business was founded on people of great character and in 250 years, nothing’s changed. We’re the world’s leading premium alcohol company. Our brands are industry icons. And our success is thanks to the strength of our people, in every role. It’s why we trust them with our legacy. And it’s why we reward them with the career-defining opportunities that they deserve.
Our ambition is to build the best performing, most trusted and respected Consumer Products Company in the world. To achieve these, we need the world’s very best people.
We're looking for people with creativity, boldness and a sense of purpose to take Diageo and our timeless, groundbreaking brands to the next level.
Feel encouraged? Then this may be the opportunity for you.