Senior Environmental Advisor
- Siemens Energy Limited
- Manchester, Newcastle, Aberdeen, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds, Birmingham,
- Competitive salary + benefits
- Closing date
- 31 Jul 2022
- Environment , Environmental Management, Sustainability
- Contract Type
- Full Time
An experienced professional in the construction/engineering environment, providing expert environmental advice and support to Site, Bid and Project Delivery Teams, to support the successful acquisition and delivery of transmission projects across multiple geographical regions. Acting as a key point of contact for project environmental issues, whilst supporting and providing input to internal and external stakeholders. With a growing awareness of Environmental Sustainability within society, the role is also critical to ensuring the business exceeds its global commitments and targets by not only environmental protection but enhancement, using resources efficiently to drive a circular economy and avoiding and reducing carbon.
Let’s talk about you
- Support and advise the Project Delivery teams and Site Management teams to ensure internal, external and customer compliance with all requirements stipulated in the Environmental Management Systems (EMS), including legislation.
- Identify significant environmental impacts on projects and assist in the set-up of appropriate controls.
- Ensure all employees are aware of their statutory duties and responsibilities and understand the requirements of company environmental procedures and guidance notes.
- Where required apply for secondary environmental consents/permits to support projects (permanent or temporary), ensuring permit conditions are complied with during project delivery.
- Where required manage third party ECoW (Environmental Clerk of Works) employed by Siemens Energy and coordinate with our customers and subcontractors ECoW resource where required.
- Undertake environmental audits and inspections, as required, to monitor compliance with environmental legislation, prevent pollution and encourage resource efficiency.
- Provide support and input into pre-qualification, tender and environmental award submissions as required.
- Support site teams with the investigation of environmental near misses and lead on environmental incident investigations to determine the root cause and identifying and implementing required corrective and preventative actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Collate monthly site environmental data in a timely manner and submit to the Environmental Manager and to the client (as required) for reporting purposes. Provide guidance to site management teams on the collection of data.
- Support with the preparation and delivery of environmental training via online platforms, toolbox talks, and project stand down sessions as appropriate, the content of which should be applicable to the site.
- Support and assist the Environmental Manager with the continuous improvement of environmental and energy management system to deliver on the Environmental Objectives and Targets. Support with monitoring changes to UK and European environmental and energy legislation that directly impacts on the business and updating business processes and procedures.
- Degree educated in relevant discipline
- Full or Practitioner IEMA Membership or above (or equivalent professional membership)
- Understanding of the application of environmental legislation and sustainability protocols within a large, diverse construction/engineering business.
- This role requires experience working in a large complex construction/engineering environment with sufficient autonomy to achieve appropriate governance.
- Extensive experience in an operational role.
- Experience of maintaining compliance with environmental management systems.
- Experience working with regulatory bodies e.g. EA, SEPA and applying for consents/permits.
- ISO 14001 auditing qualification and experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage with stakeholders on all levels.
- Strong attention to detail and organisational skills.
- Masters’ qualification (desirable)
- Experience of managing others (desirable)
- Leadership or management qualification (desirable)
- Experience working within the transmission industry (desirable)
- Experience in delivering training or awareness sessions (desirable)
- Internal auditor in ISO 50001 (desirable)
- Carbon reporting including embodied carbon calculations (desirable)
Let’s talk about us
"Let’s make tomorrow different today" is our genuine commitment at Siemens Energy to all customers and employees on the way to a sustainable future.
Here at Siemens Energy, we drive innovation, develop new technologies, apply cutting-edge technologies that will set new standards in terms of efficiency, reliability and sustainability.
Be Energized. Be you.
Lucky for us, we are not all the same. Through diversity, we generate power. We run on inclusion and compassion. Our combined creative energy is fuelled by at least 130 nationalities. Siemens Energy celebrates character – no matter what ethnic background, gender, age, religion, identity, or disability. We energize society. All of society.
Our benefits package includes a generous base salary, annual bonus, and we celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you. We offer 26 days holiday (which increases with service), up to 10% pension contribution match, an excellent company share scheme and employee discounts just to name a few.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert