About the team
The Sustainability team is committed to remaining at the leading edge of sustainability in the built environment, which is central to our corporate purpose ‘to create places where communities thrive’, places that are truly fit for people today and resilient for generations to come.
Our ambition is to live in a world warmed by no more than 1.5ºC and to be responsible for creating meaningful and measured social value on the journey.
In Europe, we have an unrivalled opportunity to help shape cities and places at scale with an urban regeneration development pipeline valued at over £20bn over the next 20 years across the UK and Italy, and many high value, high profile projects for external clients. This is sustainable development in practice.
It is testament to our business-wide commitment to sustainability and progress towards zero carbon that we have recently been shortlisted for the BusinessGreen Leaders Awards’ – Company of the Year 2022.
Here is short video introducing Lendlease’s Mission Zero and our commitment to becoming Absolute Zero Carbon by 2040: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blqEdV1jKbQ
You can find out more about our progress in Europe here: https://www.lendlease.com/better-places/lendlease-europe-shares-first-progress-update-towards-mission-zero/
About the role
As the Sustainability Manager, Construction, you will:
- Set the vision for Construction projects in line with the Lendlease Sustainability Framework, client targets and regulatory requirements (e.g. planning obligations).
- Lead sustainability in the development of new work for the UK Construction business through development of tender responses and sustainability strategies to ensure client brief and Lendlease sustainability framework are achieved.
- Input into project sustainability strategies and procurement documents, as required, including input into project briefs, design briefs, base build design requirements, building contracts, leasing documents, consultant scopes and employer’s requirements.
- Support and monitor projects for sustainability performance against Lendlease’s Sustainability Framework targets and project targets.
- Drive innovation and best practice across projects.
You will also have responsibility for sharing knowledge and best practices across the team to ensure consistency and efficiency of the delivery of sustainability. You will help cover major issues of sustainability with all relevant stakeholders at all levels on the projects. This will span the Senior Leadership requirements for strategic updates to technical support and guidance for the project management teams, including engagement with consultants, design teams and on-site subcontractors. This may also include representing Lendlease externally as a Sustainability “spokesperson” in relevant forums.
- Develop the sustainability plan for each project which captures vision, client and Lendlease ambitions, obligations and requirements.
- Contribute to the selection and scope of external consultants to ensure effective delivery of the sustainability approach.
- Ensure a consistency of vision across the projects, where applicable.
- Enable project teams to meet project sustainability targets and ensure compliance with contractual requirements and Lendlease minimum standards.
- Participate in the delivery of sustainability training and upskilling of Lendlease employees, design consultants and subcontractors.
- Hosting sustainability workshops, briefings and governance sessions.
Skills, knowledge and experience required
- Demonstrated experience in delivering sustainability performance for construction and/or property development projects.
- Knowledge of key sustainability-related regulations, planning requirements and design codes, nationally and regionally.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information in a concise way to a non-technical audience.
- Strong analytical, rigorous approach to sustainability data and reporting the performance of construction projects.
- Business minded, able to articulate the value and benefits of sustainability, compliance, reporting, etc.
- Ability to deliver multiple tasks to time.
- Ability to influence at all levels and be seen as a sustainability leader for the organisation.
We aspire to create a diverse workforce by recruiting suitably qualified candidates from a range of backgrounds regardless of age, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin or colour, sex, trans- gender status, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marital or civil partnership, or any other group who face disadvantage in our society. As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity we have invested in the external verification for equality, diversity and inclusion and have achieved the Equality Assured Standard accreditation and the National Equality Standard.
We particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in our industry including those who self-identify as women, black, Asian, minority ethnic, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/ or disabled.
We build careers, develop skills and invest in people. Imagine what more you can do here.
Lendlease is committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer of choice by engaging, enabling and empowering our people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. Inclusion sets us all up for success and we particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in our industry including those who self-identify as women, black, Asian, minority ethnic, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/ or disabled.