About the team
The Sustainability team is committed to remaining at the leading edge of sustainability in the built environment, which is central to our corporate purpose ‘to create places where communities thrive’, places that are truly fit for people today and resilient for generations to come.
Our ambition is to live in a world warmed by no more than 1.5ºC and to be responsible for creating meaningful and measured social value on the journey.
In Europe, we have an unrivalled opportunity to help shape cities and places at scale with an urban regeneration development pipeline valued at over £20bn over the next 20 years across the UK and Italy, and many high value, high profile projects for external clients. This is sustainable development in practice.
It is testament to our business-wide commitment to sustainability and progress towards zero carbon that we have recently been shortlisted for the BusinessGreen Leaders Awards’ – Company of the Year 2022.
Here is short video introducing Lendlease’s Mission Zero and our commitment to becoming Absolute Zero Carbon by 2040: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blqEdV1jKbQ
You can find out more about our progress in Europe here: https://www.lendlease.com/better-places/lendlease-europe-shares-first-progress-update-towards-mission-zero/
About the role
The Head of Sustainability, Construction is responsible is responsible for leading and managing the Sustainability team focused on supporting the Lendlease UK Construction business unit to ensure best practice in environmental sustainability.
In this role, you will lead and manage a small team.
- Leads the development and implementation of the UK Construction Sustainability strategy, ensuring it is aligned to the Group Sustainability Framework, strategy and targets, capitalising on opportunities to ‘go further, faster’ where possible in the UK.
- Leads a team to develop Sustainability Framework-aligned plans, priorities, and targets for the UK Construction business and projects, and ensures these are agreed and communicated effectively across the business.
- Leads a team to ensure appropriate tracking of performance against sustainability targets, holds the business to account, communicates outcomes, and produces reports as required.
- Leads and directs the preparation and presentation of data on environmental and sustainability metrics, ensuring relevant data is collected, collated and analysed in accordance with Lendlease and external/regulatory reporting requirements.
- Builds positive relationships with relevant external UK and European industry and government networks.
- Represents Lendlease UK in relevant external forums and acts as a spokesperson at relevant events as required.
- Manages leading-edge Sustainability input into work-winning and business development activities as a key differentiator for Lendlease UK Construction.
- Leads, supports and contributes to the development and delivery of sustainability training programmes for staff to improve understanding/sustainability literacy to enhance business performance.
- Acts as a key innovator and challenger for environmental sustainability across Lendlease UK’s Construction projects. Runs workshops, assembles panels of experts, gives design brief input to ensure our projects keep innovating to the highest sustainability standards and maintain a leadership position.
- Coordinates the UK Construction business’ plan for climate action, aligned to the Group-wide ‘Mission Zero’ campaign, and ‘Thrive to 25’.
- Ensures all systems and processes are compliant with relevant corporate performance and reporting requirements (including QBRs, Oli, PSGs etc).
- Prepares summary information as required for the Regional Leadership Team (RLT) and Group Sustainability Leadership Team by the Managing Director Sustainability & Social Impact.
- Manages all personnel and people related issues within the Sustainability UK Construction team.
- Inputs into the development and management of relevant parts of the Europe Sustainability budget.
- Manages day-to-day working relationships with other senior leaders across the Europe region and colleagues in the Group Sustainability function as required.
- Oversight of accurate data capture and reporting systems (including Footprint) and processes for UK Construction Sustainability to ensure relevant information is communicated effectively and compellingly, and audit results are achieved.
Skills, knowledge and experience required
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in Property, Engineering, Science, or Environmental Management, combined with advanced subject matter knowledge across multiple functions and advanced people management skills
- Extensive experience in a sustainability role, and/or knowledge of the construction industry, corporate social responsibility, sustainability and green building design principles, and relevant legislation (including environmental regulations).
- Experience and skills in cost/benefit analysis methodologies and environmental investigation procedures, combined with analytical skills for interpreting architectural and technical design documentation.
- Customer service and influencing skills, combined with communication skills, both oral and written; including the ability to liaise with a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and inspire, challenge and motivate people and teams beyond direct line reports.
- Ability to form and sustain relationships and networks and is diplomatic in their approach.
- An individual with a practical business mind.
- Ability to translate technical and/or academic information into daily business needs.
- Ability to interface with a large variety of people, including giving impactful presentations.
- Must be able to get things done efficiently and effectively in a complex, matrix organisation.
We aspire to create a diverse workforce by recruiting suitably qualified candidates from a range of backgrounds regardless of age, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin or colour, sex, trans- gender status, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marital or civil partnership, or any other group who face disadvantage in our society. As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity we have invested in the external verification for equality, diversity and inclusion and have achieved the Equality Assured Standard accreditation and the National Equality Standard.
We particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in our industry including those who self-identify as women, black, Asian, minority ethnic, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/ or disabled.
We build careers, develop skills and invest in people. Imagine what more you can do here.
Lendlease is committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer of choice by engaging, enabling and empowering our people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. Inclusion sets us all up for success and we particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in our industry including those who self-identify as women, black, Asian, minority ethnic, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/ or disabled.