UKRI Environmental Sustainability Manager (2100016Q)
NERC, Swindon/Hybrid Working, Full-Time, £31,931
UK Research & Innovation’s (UKRI) Environmental Sustainability Strategy was launched in April 2020. It sets out our ambition to embed environmental sustainability into our activities as a funder and deliverer of research and innovation to make a net positive impact on the environment. This includes our goal to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions for our own operations by 2040. The Strategy applies across all parts of UKRI as an organisation, including our funding (e.g., grants to universities, research organisations and businesses) and our own science and office operations (e.g., ships, aircraft, labs and data centres and staff travel) in the UK and internationally.
The UKRI Environmental Sustainability Manager will play a key role within the UKRI Environmental Sustainability Team in supporting delivery of our Environmental Sustainability Strategy. Based in the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), you’ll work with colleagues across UKRI on a wide range of environmental sustainability initiatives across the scope of our strategy (including carbon, resource use, biodiversity, procurement, and adaptation).
- Provide programme and project management support for environmental sustainability initiatives to deliver the UKRI Environmental Sustainability Strategy.
- Lead the collection, analysis and reporting of environmental data including carbon emissions across scopes 1, 2 & 3.
- Manage delivery of UKRI environmental sustainability performance reporting, including e.g.: UKRI Annual Report & Accounts, Greening Government Commitments reporting and voluntary external reporting and verification.
- Work with internal and external partners (including software providers) to improve the quality, breadth, and efficiency of processes for reporting on environmental performance.
- Support UKRI partners in delivering their Environmental Sustainability Action Plans.
- Work with Communications and HR colleagues to on staff communications, L&D and engagement programmes to help embed better sustainable behaviour e.g., energy efficiency, waste reduction and smarter travel choices.
You will need:
- Degree or comparable experience within an environmental or sustainability field.
- Experience of numerical data analysis to identify performance against baselines and targets and identify trends and opportunities, communicating results in a clear and insightful way to support decision-making.
- Good understanding of environmental sustainability metrics including greenhouse gas emissions (Scopes 1-3), waste, water etc.
- Experience in sustainability-related programme/project management.
- Experience in supporting organisational change projects and programmes.
- Excellent management and organisational skills. Able to effectively prioritise work and balance changing workloads.
- Good interpersonal skills, able to build and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and senior leadership and a wide range of partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience in preparing and confidently delivering presentations, reports and engaging communication materials for staff at a variety of levels.
Choosing to come to work at NERC, part of UKRI, means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits including a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to see more details and to apply please visit our job board. Please include a covering letter outlining how you fit the role criteria.
Closing date for applications is 5th December 2021.