Environmental Sustainability Manager
As a family business that’s been around for over 100 years, responsible business has always been integral to how we do business as set out in The Blakemore Way.
A.F. Blakemore & Son is a forward-thinking family business operating as a retailer, wholesaler and distributor of food and drink. Still 100% family owned we have a group turnover in excess of £1 billion employing over 7,500 people. Our reinvestment strategy sees 94% of our profits be retained in the business each year, which allows us to take a long-term approach, and to consider all stakeholders - of which the environment is included. A further 2% of profits is invested into our charitable foundation.
To drive our environmental sustainability strategy forward we are recruiting an Environmental Sustainability Manager to sit within our Responsible Business Programme. The programme covers the three pillars of community, workplace and the environment.
This exciting role will lead the evolvement of our businesses into one that has consideration of environmental impact embedded in its culture and is fit and ready to operate in a carbon zero economy. The role will also look into how we make ourselves climate resilient and how we play our part in restoring nature.
Overall Carbon Net Zero Strategy Development and Measurement
- Ownership of our environmental data to create a complete view and clarity of our scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions to create a carbon budget.
- To use this carbon budget to develop an informed, realistic and achievable carbon net zero roadmap with the Responsible Business Director.
- Responsible for the effective communication, measurement, and reporting of progress against the agreed roadmap.
- Undertake external benchmarking of environmental activity to ensure relevance and identify key areas for continuous improvement.
Facilitation and Influencing across the business
- To use the carbon budget to liaise with, influence and inform departmental heads across the business to ensure objectives and targets are set and met to reduce our carbon footprint, and that environmental sustainability is fully embedded into the company.
- To work alongside the Responsible Business Director and HR to develop a culture of personal responsibility that places environmental consideration into day-to-day business decisions.
- To ensure our workplace environment and policy enables colleagues to engage with the programme and minimise their impact on the environment.
- To drive engagement internally in our environmental programme, to include the delivery of campaigns and events such as Environmental Week
- Coordinate and lead the plastics reduction group and relationship with The Plastics Pact.
- To work with divisions to add value to our customer relationships through development of solutions and propositions that illustrate best practise enable them to be more environmentally friendly.
- To promote the business and share best practice at external forums
- To liaise with our external partners such as SPAR UK and SPAR International, CRG etc.
Legislation and Governance
- Identify changes to environmental legislation, understand the impact and work across the business to mitigate the impact. This strategy will prevent the business from incurring costs, but also create savings
- To work with the business to investigate purchasing policies that take environmental consideration into account through ideas, such as, but not limited to:
- environmental impact into listing criteria/ scoring so that it is considered
- an understanding what products we are able to influence more than others
- incorporation of packaging detail into product architecture so that areas of high impact, types of material, PRNs can be worked out easily by attaching to sales databases
Some Key Knowledge Requirements:
- Experience and technical ability: Should have prior experience of working in this area enabling the knowledge of environmental best practice and current trends to be applied to our strategy development and programme.
- Engaging: An enthusiastic personality with an ability to influence and gain support for the RBP agenda by persuading and convincing a diverse range of stakeholders to agree and promote change.
Download the job description for more information.