Environment & Waste Coordinator – Permanent Contract – Kemsley Mill
A rare and exciting opportunity has arisen within DS Smith’s Paper Division; within the Kemsley Paper Mill in Kent; one of the largest producers of high-quality, recycled, corrugated case materials.
Reporting to the Site Environmental Manager, you will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the landfill permit overseeing waste management activities and ensuring compliance with environmental legislative requirements and environmental Management Systems
We are looking for someone who will be able to drive environmental performance forwards within Kemsley Mill and ensure the Site’s objectives are met and exceeded within an environmental context.
Responsibilities for this role will include:
- Ensuring compliance with EPR and Landfill permit and all other applicable legislation.
- Co-ordinating waste-management processes across the Kemsley Paper Mill Site
- Management of effluent external analysis and other activities are required by permits
- Implementing and continuous improvement of the EMS to the ISO 14001 and ISO 50001 standard for the site.
- Identification of training needs for internal Colleagues and providing in-house training when and where required.
- Conducting regular internal environmental audits and Site inspections; identifying areas for improvement and non-compliance.
- Investigating incidents on Site and leading root-cause analyses.
- Collecting and collating environmental and waste information on Site, analysing data and creating reports for the presentation to local authorities and inspecting Bodies.
- Providing advice and guidance on current practices and procedures within environmental and waste legislation.
The successful candidate must possess the following criteria:
- Previous experience of working Landfill regulated location and/or waste management site.
- Experience of producing reports for the submission to external bodies such as the Environment Agency; waste submissions.
- Experience of working with regulatory authorities.
- Experience of working with an EMS, certified to ISO 14001 or ISO 50001.
- Possess demonstrable knowledge of current UK Environmental Legislation.
- Excellent and demonstrable communication skills (both written and oral).
- Strong Microsoft Office experience; particularly with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Enthusiasm for continuous improvements and self-motivated approach.
- Experience and working knowledge of a Landfill Site or Waste water/effluent treatment plant.
- Possess a 2:1 Degree (or above) in an Environmental discipline or equivalent.
- Membership to an environmental professional body i.e. IEMA and/or COTC qualification
About DS Smith...
DS Smith is a leading supplier of recycled packaging, both within the UK market and throughout Europe. A FTSE 250 listed business with a turnover in excess of £3.6 billion. The organisation employs over 22,000 people worldwide & is continuing to grow both organically & through acquisition. www.dssmith.com/paper/
- Competitive salary - Circa £30,000 – £35,000 DOE.
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays.
- Contributory pension.
- Annual cycle to work scheme.
- Childcare vouchers.
- Paid Expenses.
Location: Kemsley Mill, Sittingbourne, Kent
Please submit a copy of your current CV, along with a cover letter, detailing a synopsis of your CV & summarising the key points of your experience that are relevant to the role for which you are applying to firstname.lastname@example.org
DS Smith SSC and all other DS Smith entities reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive a large volume of applications or if a suitable applicant is found internally. Please note that due to the volume we receive, it may not always be possible to get back to each candidate in the early stages of the recruitment process but a response will always be received.
We would like to thank you for your interest in DS Smith and we look forward to hearing from you.
Please note that we do not accept speculative CV’s from any Recruitment Company or Agency and that unorganised contact from any Recruitment Company will not be progressed.