Are you an environmental expert with experience of producing and reviewing environmental assessments?
Are you passionate about delivering expert advice on the environmental impact of transport infrastructure?
Do you want to have a real influence on the delivery of major transport infrastructure projects?
If so, this high profile and exciting opportunity as out Environmental Manager is for you, and we’d love to hear from you.
As an Environmental Manager in the Transport and Works Act Orders Unit, you will provide advice and support on all areas of your teams casework. This is a key role in delivering the teams core functions where you will work closely with planning case managers and lawyers to deliver robust planning decisions and supporting documentation.
The Transport and Works Act Orders Unit deals with applications submitted to the Secretary of State under both the Transport and Works Act 1992 and the Planning Act 2008. Our work is critical to the delivery of railway, tramway, strategic road, airport and major harbour projects. You will need to grasp technical information on environmental impacts and decide what weight to place on diverse opinions from advisors and interested parties in recommending next steps to the team and making recommendations to Ministers.
Within your role you will:
- Advise on scoping and screening requests in relation to applications for Transport and Works Act Orders;
- Undertake Habitats Regulations Assessments / Appropriate Assessments and advising whether sufficient information has been provided, whether there will be likely significant effects, or adverse effects on site integrity and recommending follow-up steps;
- Evaluate recommendation reports from the Planning Inspectorate and other submissions, including Environmental Statements to advise the Secretary of State and Senior Civil Servants on the environmental impacts of various transport projects including Nationality Significant Infrastructure Projects;
- Check draft consent conditions and requirements to ensure appropriate provisions for environmental surveys, mitigation and monitoring are secured
- Draft submissions to Ministers and contribute to decision documentation in a timely and thorough manner;
- Ensure that all Orders under the Transport and Works Act and Planning Act are consistent with Government policy, are legally acceptable and meet the required drafting standards for Statutory Instruments.
If you would like to read more about the role, please refer to the attached role profile document.
You will be a confident individual who can analyse technical information, using your sound decision making skills to make informed decisions upon receiving diverse opinions. You will have excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing, with the ability to adapt your delivery to suit a wide variety of audiences, maximising both impact and understanding.
You will have excellent organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple and often conflicting priorities in a fast paced environment to time and of a high standard. You will thrive in an environment where you will work to statutory deadlines, ensuring that you are detail focused in being able to examine complex information and simplify it.
We are committed to encouraging and enabling our staff to develop in and above their role and will support you in undertaking further learning and development opportunities.