Job Title: Environmental Scientist
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world
This is an opportunity for an Environmental Consultant to join our successful, growing environmental team in the West (Bristol, Cardiff & Winchester).
Work across a variety of projects including major infrastructure projects, with a particular focus on the water sector.
Be part of a wider consulting team, working in a truly integrated and multi-disciplinary way across Southern England and Wales collaborating with our colleagues across the UK and internationally.
Based in Arup’s Bristol, Cardiff or Winchester office, with an expectation of a high level of mobility across the West region (Cardiff and Winchester) and throughout the UK as projects require, working alongside the teams in these locations.
Providing Environmental and Water Science expertise to major infrastructure consenting or environmental enhancement projects with a focus on the water sector.
Requirements and skills
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Degree and/or masters in an environmental related topic
- Relevant work experience
- Capacity to work in a multi-disciplinary environment with other groups (e.g. Planning, Transport and Project Management);
- Capacity to take a supporting role in business development: promotion, marketing and bid preparation;
- Capable of supporting the delivery of a challenging and varying workload which can change at short notice;
- Support to effective project delivery and within budget and programmes assigned to specific area of work
- Capable of explaining complex processes and highly technical subject matters in a way that is understandable – using plain English.
- Capable of identifying issues or risks and communicating these to the senior project team that affect the delivery of a project
- Proficiency in use of GIS
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Support to delivery of projects securing consent under the provision of the Planning Act 2008
- Experience of delivering Hydrology / Flood Risk / Water Framework Directive assessments
- Experience of supporting drafting Environmental Statement water topic chapters and Water Framework Directive compliance assessments
- Understanding of UK planning process and environmental legislation, knowledge of project consents secured under the Planning Act 2008, understanding of Water Framework Directive and its application.
- Skills or experience in Natural Flood Management, aquatic ecology, water quality, geomorphology, hydrology
- Digital skills – used of advanced data analysis or presentation techniques or packages
- Progression towards Chartership
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Shape your time
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to a range of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle - we recognise it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you're interested in flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Equality and diversity
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visible and will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in the selection and assessment process.
What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.