Climate Resilience Manager
Climate Resilience Manager
£33,000 + substantial pension and benefits
North – Catterick DL9 3LR;
Central - Whittington, Lichfield WS14 9PY;
South – Westdown Camp, Tilshead SP3 4RS
Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique
This is an exciting time for DIO and Technical Services, as the Sustainability and Environment teams expand to respond to the challenges of Net Zero Carbon, embedding Climate Resilience, and delivering Social Value through our procurements. Sustainability and Environment carries a high profile in the organisation, and we have a key role in delivering the new MOD Climate Change and Sustainability Strategy and the revised Greening Government targets.
Would you like the challenge of helping the MOD build capacity towards climate change adaptation? Working as a Climate Resilience Manager, the post holder will be at the forefront of climate change adaptation driving delivery and innovation. This role will be challenging and comes with a diverse portfolio of tasks as MOD baselines its natural capital and sets out its road map to net zero carbon and climate resilience. This is an exciting time to be working for DIO.
The MOD Estate includes MOD Barracks, Airfields, Naval Bases and a vast training estate that extend from the deep marine environment, through dune systems and across the UK to the mountainous forests and moorlands of Scotland and Northern Ireland. This post offers an exciting and unique opportunity to support development and management of this varied and heavily designated estate.
Work will fall into 5 broad categories: providing Subject Matter Expert advice to climate impacts risk assessments, providing Subject Matter Expert advice to embedding climate change adaptation into projects, communications and engagement, policy and guidance development and data and reporting. The proportion of time required to be spent in each category will depend on the progress of MOD initiatives, requirements and priorities.
Subject Matter Expert Advice on climate impacts risk assessments
- Support our internal customers in the application of MOD in-house pioneering tool to assess climatic risks, the Climate Impacts Risk Assessment Methodology (CIRAM). This will include completing research, effective use of science e.g. UK Climate Projections and facilitating CIRAM workshops.
Subject Matter Expert Advice to projects
- Provide advice on delivery of the MOD’s climate resilience legal and policy obligations to support MOD objectives across the defence estate.
- Peer review environmental reports, assessments (including Sustainability Appraisals & DREAM) & appraisals prepared in-house or by consultants.
Communications and Engagement
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key customers
- Undertake presentations, briefings and deliver training
- Assist with drafting responses to Parliamentary, Ministerial and FOI correspondence.
Policy and Guidance Development
- Assist in the drafting and review of publications, including the maintenance of the CIRAM tool.
- Advice to the Senior Climate Resilience Manager on the development, and future direction, of policy and legal compliance.
Data and Reporting
- Contribute to data and reporting requirements including advice on the development of geospatial applications and data analysis tools.
We also have a YouTube Video for a unique insight into DIO: https://www.youtube.com/embed/I9tLu3UdiGY?rel=0
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
For further information regarding this vacancy please contact:
Name: Begonia Pedreira-Regueira
Telephone: 07887 845419
For full role details, please click the apply button to redirect to Civil Service Jobs which is the Only Official Way to apply for the role.
Closing date: 31 January 2021.