£33,000 + substantial pension and benefits
North – Catterick DL9 3LR;
Central - Whittington, Lichfield WS14 9PY;
South – Westdown Camp, Tilshead SP3 4RS.
Join the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) and have a future that matters: Be proud; Be challenged; Be unique
This is an exciting time for DIO and Technical Services, as the Sustainability and Environmental teams expand to respond to the challenges of Net Zero Carbon, embedding Climate Resilience, and delivering Social Value through our procurements. Sustainability and the Environment carry a high profile in the organisation, and we have a key role in delivering the new MOD Climate Change and Sustainability Strategy and the revised Greening Government targets.
DIO procures over £3 billion of Capital Works, Facilities Management and other service contracts per year on behalf of its military Customers. This is an exciting opportunity to build Sustainability and Environmental requirements into procurement processes and new Infrastructure contracts. It also provides an opportunity to shape the wider Social Value that can be achieved as a consequence of our procurements, be it supporting diverse supply chains, opportunities for disadvantaged people or locations, community integration and wellbeing.
Working as a Sustainability Manager, the post holder will be at the forefront of sustainability, driving delivery and innovation in procurement. The role is challenging, and comes with a diverse portfolio of tasks, and a wide range of stakeholders to engage with. The focus is largely strategic, embedding Sustainable Procurement & Social Value (SP & SV) into broader Sustainability Strategies and products, developing wider links with DIO Commercial and Supplier Relations Management teams and their initiatives and with other Sustainable Procurement leads around MOD, as well as strengthening the relationships with military Customers and supply chain partners. However, there will be opportunities to influence procurement projects by advising on contract requirements and designing/evaluating tender questions and responses
As a DIO Sustainability manager in this role, you will have the opportunity to:
Strengthen the engagement with key stakeholders so that SP & SV mandates and requirements are clear and understood.
- These include military Customers, MOD and DIO Commercial teams, MOD Head Office and DIO Strategy & Planning and Defence Equipment & Support.
Influence Government and MOD consultations on SP & SV and develop guidance and processes to embed requirements into infrastructure procurement.
- This includes embedding SP & SV prompts into project, procurement and investment approval processes. Also developing and updating Infrastructure SP&SV policy and guidance and establishing assurance mechanisms to check compliance with contract requirements
Embed SP & SV elements into DIO’s Sustainability Strategy and Sustainability Management System.
- This will involve embedding SP & SV metrics into broader sustainability data dashboards, risk management mechanisms, communications and Governance forums.
We also have a YouTube Video for a unique insight into DIO: https://www.youtube.com/embed/I9tLu3UdiGY?rel=0
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
For further information regarding this vacancy please contact:
Name: Louise Allan
Telephone: 07967 786943
For full role details, please click the apply button to redirect to Civil Service Jobs which is the Only Official Way to apply for the role.
Closing date: 31 January 2021.