Food Hygiene - Environmental Health Officer
Connect2Luton are working exclusively with Luton Borough Council to recruit a Food Hygiene Environmental Health Officer to work in their Business and Consumer Services division.
The post holder will effectively implement and deliver complex reactive and planned workload in relation to food hygiene, food standards, health and safety.
- To provide professional support and advice, in line with appropriate competencies, to local stakeholders and other council services.
- Determine and implement enforcement action in accordance with council policy and maintain accurate and timely records of activity on the council's computer database.
- Undertake planned interventions of higher risk commercial premises and identify contraventions of appropriate legislation, codes of practice, statutory guidance, policies and procedures.
- Authorise and inspect permitted installations to ensure protection of the environment and to comply with the Council's statutory duties and powers.
- Devise, develop and undertake complex activities and projects aimed at raising standards in businesses.
- Deputise for the Team Manager (Food, Safety and Environment) in their absence and represent the service on internal and external professional groups.
Experience & Qualification for a Successful Food Hygiene Environmental Health Officer-
- In-depth experience of securing or improving compliance with health and safety or food safety and standards (composition and labelling) legislation.
- In-depth experience of leading complex investigations and bringing them to a successful conclusion.
- Able to communicate, advise and persuade service users and businesses clearly and authoritatively.
- Able to undertake detailed, complex investigations, identifying service improvements evaluating and interpreting legislation, statutory codes and data relating to the activity of the team, monitoring impact of projects and applying outcomes
- Able to write concise and accurate reports and documents and deliver presentations.
- In-depth current knowledge of environmental health legislation, topical issues and priorities and strategies to secure compliance.
- In-depth experience of complying with legal procedures including PACE and RIPA
- Higher Certificate in Food Premises Inspection or Higher Certificate in Food Control
- Able to travel to sites throughout the Borough for inspections and investigations on a daily basis, including transport of equipment.
- Competent knowledge of Civica APP database.
- Some exposure to politically sensitive situations
- Successful completion of an accredited food standards training course
Because of the nature of this job it will be necessary for the appropriate level of criminal record disclosure to be undertaken.
Connect2Luton, part of Luton Borough Council & Kent Commercial Services LLP, is an equal opportunities Employment Agency & Business and positively encourages applications from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates.