Health, Safety and Environmental Advisor
Britten-Norman is the producer of one of the most successful civil aircraft ever manufactured in the UK & it is now the UK’s only independent civil aircraft manufacturer. The company is also a leading aerospace SME, offering a market leading range of aviation related services both within the UK and internationally.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join Britten Norman as the Heath, Safety and Environment Advisor in our Lee-on-Solent facility.
As the Health, Safety and Environment Advisor you will provide ensure group wide compliance with all Health, Safety and Environment related legislation and associated regulations. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining the company HS&E Management System. You will promote measurable effectiveness and continuous safety improvement across the Company, and drive process improvements towards achieving ISO45001 and ISO14001 certification.
Main tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Keep up to date and ensure group wide compliance with appropriate Health, Safety and Environmental legislation and associated regulations such as the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 etc.
- Alert management to any changes in legislative requirements that might have an impact on the business.
- Provide support and guidance on the practical application of HSE legislative requirements and policy.
- Undertake internal auditing to ensure that the processes required for the Health and Safety Management System are compliant with current Health and Safety legislation, and eventually ISO45001.
- Identify potential Health, Safety and Environmental hazards and provide advice on resolution.
- Actively engage with and support the Company Safety Management System.
- Ensure risk assessments undertaken by the business are reviewed and effective, and maintain the risk assessment database.
- Undertake risk assessments and inspections to determine ways of reducing risk with cost effective solutions. Audit and report on all company infrastructure, operations and assets where appropriate.
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organisational skills.
- Calm, patient and assertive.
- Ability to influence associates at all levels.
- A leading team member, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail and process orientation.
- Capable of acquiring and applying detailed legal, technical and regulatory information
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Ability to remain flexible to meet the wider demands of an expanding business.
- Experience in the generation of Health and Safety procedures
- Experience in the generation of Environmental procedures
- Must be able to demonstrate a period of relevant and suitable experience in a Health and Safety advisory role within a regulated sector
- Experience of liaising with authorities regarding Health and Safety matters.
- Experience of performing risk assessments
- Experience of implementing or maintaining compliance with ISO45001 standard
- Previous experience of working within a similar role within an Aerospace company
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) to include Maths and English at grade C or above
- 2 A Levels or equivalent vocational qualification
- IOSH approved qualification
- ISO45001 Internal auditor qualification
- ISO14001 Internal auditor qualification
- Formal risk assessment training
- 33 days holiday (inclusive of Bank and Public Holidays)
- Contributory pension scheme
- Eligibility to join the healthcare scheme following probation period
All roles within Britten Norman are subject to Security Vetting, the company will progress this within a new starter’s probation period.