Join us in Weybridge as an Environmental Lead
Joining a fast-paced community Investment and Sustainability team, as Environmental Lead your primary focus will be to develop and implement a UK Environment plan by translating the JT Group sustainability strategy and targets into a UK context, as well as identify and respond to UK focused environmental issues and regulations.
You will lead the creation and co-ordination of activities in the UK to deliver against the plan with the support of the Global JTI Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) team. As part of the UK Corporate Affairs team, you’ll also engage with JTI's external stakeholders to communicate our approach to Sustainability.
You’ll be in a dynamic team of six, this includes the temporary role of Head of Responsible Business Projects, the Environmental Lead, two Community Programme Managers and an Executive, all of which are led by the Head of Community Investment & UK Sustainability.
What you’ll do
- You’ll develop a comprehensive understanding of the JT/JTI Group Sustainability strategy, JTI's UK business and its environmental impacts.
- You’ll act as the local expert on UK environmental legislation and maintain awareness of the UK regulatory climate with regards the impact on the business of emerging environmental legislation. You’ll be responsible for ensuring we complete our regulatory reporting requirements.
- You’ll create, own and maintain a UK environment plan and develop, monitor and report on SMART targets to deliver the group strategy in the UK and address key market environmental issues at a local level.
- You’ll co-ordinate activities, support the development of programmes and initiatives required to achieve these targets. Impact areas will include water, waste and greenhouse gas emissions.
- You’ll educate, inform and advise the UK business on the UK environment plan in the context of the wider sustainability strategy. You’ll create a business case to ensure environmental considerations become part of the business decision making process across all functions.
- You’ll create and implement an employee engagement plan on environmental issues. In conjunction with UK Communications, you’ll create and maintain a set of external messages on key aspects of the UK’s environmental plan and contribute to the UK’s external responsible business reporting. You’ll seek external accreditation for UK initiatives and you’ll represent JTI UK at stakeholder events communicating our approach and progress on sustainability issues.
The skills you'll need
- A degree or equivalent professional qualification in an environmental discipline – ideally Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA) at Practitioner level or equivalent
- A minimum of five years’ environment experience in a UK Corporate or FMCG
- Experience in the electronics industry will be beneficial
- Project management experience is essential with experience of having led and implemented initiatives
- Proficient data analysis and numerical skills
- Proven experience of working cross functionally
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills at all levels - the ability to persuade and influence is critical
- An aptitude for problem solving
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritising and handling multiple tasks, whilst maintaining attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated with a flexible ‘can do’ attitude and ability to work successfully in a close team environment
- Excellent working knowledge of Windows, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary of up to £55,000 per annum dependent on experience plus a company car allowance. We’ll also provide you with a comprehensive benefits package that’s flexible to suit you and your lifestyle including a discretionary bonus scheme and money to spend on a range of flexible benefits from share schemes to discounted gym memberships.
It is important to us that you have a good work life balance so to encourage this we offer flexible working, working from home and 25 days holiday per annum which you can buy and sell to suit your needs. We know how important the future is so offer a very competitive non contributory pension. For peace of mind for you and your family we also provide fully funded private medical insurance, life assurance, income protection and health screening.
At JTI, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you.
Are you interested in applying? If so please apply with your CV and a covering letter highlighting your suitability for the role.