Energy Manager: HMCTS
2 days left
- Full Time
Band & Job Title
Band B, HMCTS Energy Manager,
Place of work: Birmingham, Croydon, Liverpool, London, National, Sheffield. Those based outside of London will be required to travel to London when necessary.
Employee type: Permanent
MoJ Estates Directorate (ED) manages property and facilities management interests on behalf of the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) including Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS),Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Service, and a number of other Government Departments (Home Office (HO), Crown Prosecution service (CPS), Department for Education (DfE), Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MCLG), Department for International Trade (DIT), Department for Exiting the EU (DExEU) and a number of Arm’s Length Bodies (ALBs)). It comprises a diverse range of assets that include: prisons, training centres, courts, tribunal buildings operational buildings, approved premises and an office estate that supports the wider operational activities.
About the team
The MoJ Sustainability Team is responsible for promoting and delivering sustainability across ED’s responsibilities including the Greening Government Commitments and embedding sustainability in MoJ. It provides advice and support to Facilities Management, Project Delivery, technical standards, Commercial, etc.
Purpose of the role
To be the focal point for energy, waste and water management across HMCTS providing good quality technical advice using tools to monitor performance and deliver solutions, working closely with Facilities Management teams, and others, to reduce costs and consumption of utilities and reduce the carbon footprint of HMCTS and to help MoJ meet the Greening Government Commitments.
To provide analysis of the HMCTS data from the Arcadis/Carbon Smart sustainability data capture and analysis contract or from other sources and report to senior managers.
- Help deliver effective carbon, energy, waste and water management programmes. provide advice and support.
- Work with stakeholders to drive performance by identifying and delivering energy, waste and water proposals and programmes. Tracking these projects to show benefits demonstrated (e.g. through savings) and sharing good practice.
- Understand the benefits of AMR and associated data analysis, including identifying good and bad practice, and no-cost and low-cost energy and water saving opportunities.
- Be familiar with the purpose and operation of Building Management Systems - not to a level to work a BMS but to be able to look over an operator’s shoulder and understand what is being viewed,
- Work with the FM suppliers to ensure that they act to remedy instances of poor energy management
- Liaise with finance and the utility suppliers to resolve queries about meters and sites
- Understand utility billing and be able to liaise with finance to resolve billing queries
- Interface with the future bill validation supplier (when this is let) to resolve any queries and to ensure that we get best value
- Identify measures including no-cost and low-cost waste saving opportunities through, for example, waste data analysis.
- Manage HMCTS data capability to ensure accurate and timely sustainability reporting for senior managers in HMCTS and the MoJ Sustainability Team etc.
- Deliver internal reports as required to show HMCTS progress towards delivering Greening Government Commitments (GGC), trend analysis and identification of risk:
- Monitor and benchmark performance at site and business unit level.
- Help to ensure compliance with statutory environmental requirements: CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme and Display Energy Certificates etc
- Support Commercial to let suitable utility contracts and help deliver utility based savings in particular associated with bill verification, water deregulation and opportunities in the electricity market including, but not limited to, demand side response.
- Identify opportunities for improving FM contract delivery. Advise and support Head of Sustainability in agreeing new GGC targets for carbon and other areas with Defra and BEIS. Support re baselining of GGC where required.
- Work with the Sustainability Team’s Communication lead to promote, and align, sustainability messaging to staff.
- Provide information and where required briefing for Ministers’ Cases, PQs, FOIs and TOs, reports as required.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all employees must be flexible in their approach to undertake other duties that are commensurate with the post holder’s level, wherever they may be, to achieve the objectives of the Cluster.
Innovation will be expected.
Core Competence Profile
Essential Civil Service Competency (Level 3, SEO)
- Changing and Improving
- Collaborating and Partnering
- Delivering Value for Money
- Achieving commercial outcomes
GPP Competency’s (Practitioner Level)
- Interpretation and analysis of data to inform decision making: Interpreting and presenting clearly to colleagues and stakeholders diverse and detailed information from a wide range of sources and making reasoned recommendations. Identifying options for action, providing an evaluation of options and making reasoned decisions
- Interpretation and analysis of data to inform decision making: Actively participating in external and cross-government professional communities